suspension question, please help

kbrownmann

5+ Year Member
hey, i have a 1994 ex civic and since ive got it its had problems. it sounds like there is a clicking noise under the passenger side. i was told it was my tie rod, but after replacement, the sound is still there. it is not the axle, both have been replaced, and it doesnt happen when i turn. it happens when the car "rocks" so to say, and is very noticable in 1st gear. it happens if im in 1st gear going lets say 10mph and i let off the gas, it kind of rocks and i can hear the sound.

has anyone had experience with this before. please let me know what you think it could be. thanks.

1993DX

Jack up the front passenger side so the the wheel is off the ground, then grab the upper and lower edge of the tire and give it a shake. Then grab the left and right sides and give it a shake again. This can help pinpoint the sound, the culprit, and if the suspension is even to blame.

It happening when you de-accelerate in 1st gear could also be a worn out / bad motor mount. Is it more of a clunk than a click?

kbrownmann

5+ Year Member
it sounds exactly the same as when a cv boot is busted. and its not 1st gear, it does it in every gear i just used 1st as an example. like if i was going 45 in 4th gear and let off the gas as soon as the car rocks back i hear it. the mounts could be a good culprit, but it feels like its coming from right under my feet.

1993DX

it sounds exactly the same as when a cv boot is busted. and its not 1st gear, it does it in every gear i just used 1st as an example. like if i was going 45 in 4th gear and let off the gas as soon as the car rocks back i hear it. the mounts could be a good culprit, but it feels like its coming from right under my feet.
It could be the most rearward mount... Or possibly some worn out control arm bushings.

You'll most likely just need to get under there with a pry bar and start moving things around, otherwise everyone is just going to through out random suggestions. That is unless someone has had this specific issue before, but it's kinda hard to diagnose sounds online because there could be so many things that are causing it.

Personally I'd start by checking out the mounts and suspension bushings.

kbrownmann

5+ Year Member
after looking at everything again the motor mounts looked fine. no cracks or anything like that. i did however find a busted (tie rod?) boot. well it is whatever is connected to the outer tie rod, so im assuming its the inner tie rod. BUT it is on the drivers side.

would a bad tie rod on the drivers side make a cracking noise on the passenger side?

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5310/cimg0860z.jpg

1993DX

Hmm... The sound could be just travelling and playing tricks on you...

Either way (and this probably goes without saying) I'd definitely replace it. Maybe even both sides since they aren't that expensive and you'll have all the necessary tools out anyway.

I'm NOT saying replace everything you come across that looks array in a blind effort to diagnose the problem.. But this does need to be replaced and it may be causing the sound.

n_bond

steering gear, rods(to check it - just try to shake as fast as you can the steering wheel from right to left. But do it in a quite garage where no other sound will be. When you'll make such movements with steering wheel and hear no sound or just a little - don't bother. But if you'll hear something loud knock so need a couple of hande more to check inner\ outer rods and steering shaft during the same movement and you;ll feel which one is bad)
Still If the ball joints are good and steering eather - make the music volume higher and just enjoy driving honda. :-)