Suspension questions

KNusz

5+ Year Member
i"m about to replace the suspension all the way around on my car. I'm currently looking at KYB GR-2 Struts and shocks because they seem like a great price based on my budget. I've read the reviews and done my research and have found almost no negative feedback about them. My problem is this: I want to lower my car as well but i don't know how to. Do i just need lowering springs with the shocks/struts i am currently looking at, or do i need a different set-up completely? When i do lower my car how do i gauge how far to lower it? I'm currently sitting on 17" MSR rims with Nitto Neo Gen 215/75/ZR17 Tires. How do i know what springs to choose? I found a set of lowering springs for a decent price as well. Also i've heard that once lowered, its hard to keep the front end aligned. Any truth to this? Any feedback would be great. Thanks Guys!! =)

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The KYB's are like the stock shocks/struts. There are various springs to go with, I used to have TEIN's and Eibach's..I loved both of them. With springs its not going to lower your car low enough to not be able to align it.

KNusz

5+ Year Member
so just putting the lowering springs on with the shocks that i have picked will lower my car some? i'm still al little confused. i haven't ordered anything yet so if i'm going about this the wrong way please let me know. i'm budgeting around $400 for this but might be able to squeeze out $500. I don't want my car slammed (lots of potholes and speedbumps in the area). Anyone else able to shed some light on this?

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i have 2 front tein stechs forsale
55 shipped

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so just putting the lowering springs on with the shocks that i have picked will lower my car some? i'm still al little confused. i haven't ordered anything yet so if i'm going about this the wrong way please let me know. i'm budgeting around $400 for this but might be able to squeeze out $500. I don't want my car slammed (lots of potholes and speedbumps in the area). Anyone else able to shed some light on this?
Yes you can use your stock struts/shocks for lowering springs. They won't last much but they will do for awhile. Its always recommended to use aftermarket struts like Tokico Blue's/

KNusz

5+ Year Member
Yes you can use your stock struts/shocks for lowering springs. They won't last much but they will do for awhile. Its always recommended to use aftermarket struts like Tokico Blue's/
Thanks for the info. I'll start checking around for the right stuff. I've also been looking into and intake as well as exhaust. I talked to some guys at the local import parts store (which i just recently found since i just moved to my area) and they told me that the best intake system you can get is a K&N. Reason being that the plastic is a better insulator for the COA than the metal AEM. It keeps the air coming through the pipe colder since metal is such a good conductor of heat. Makes alot of sense to me since I'm an electrician and i have to deal with heat dissipation and insulation on a regular basis. Any thoughts?

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the info. I'll start checking around for the right stuff. I've also been looking into and intake as well as exhaust. I talked to some guys at the local import parts store (which i just recently found since i just moved to my area) and they told me that the best intake system you can get is a K&N. Reason being that the plastic is a better insulator for the COA than the metal AEM. It keeps the air coming through the pipe colder since metal is such a good conductor of heat. Makes alot of sense to me since I'm an electrician and i have to deal with heat dissipation and insulation on a regular basis. Any thoughts?
K&N and AEM are good brands. I'm getting a K&N typhoon intake for my car. I would go with whatever is cheaper of those two.