suspension, sway bars, strut bars.

sketchman1981

sketchman
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm building up my 2000 civic sedan, and I'm trying to do research into the best parts. I'm willing to drop some cash so I want the best performance, not necesarily the best price. AEM I hear has some good parts, what do you guys think? I'm looking to make my car fast, and handle as best a civic can.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol @ AEM. Strut bars don't do much but sway bars do. You got to start by lowering your car if you haven't already.

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It all depends on what you want to do with your Civic. Are you planning on attending Auto-X Events or do you just want a better handling Daily Driver?

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ground Control/Koni Yellows and upgraded rear sway will help your car ALOT. Also, I'd suggest getting adjustable upper control arms so you can set your chamber. Not required, but has helped me setup my car exactly how I want for autoxing.

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ seriously? Dont go there man, you are looking for Suspension parts. Here's is what I have on my 97 Hatch as far as Suspension, I'm sure I'm missing a few things but you get the idea:

GSR Front & Rear Disc Conversion
Brembo Blanks Rotors
Extended Wheel Studs
Koni Sport "Yellow" Shocks
Ground Control Coilovers
Ground Control Top Hats (Front & Rear)
ASR Reinforcement Brace
JDM OEM CTR 26mm Front Swaybar w/ Endlinks, LCAs, and Forks
JDM OEM CTR 22mm Rear Swaybar w/ Endlinks
Energy Suspension 22mm Swaybar Bushings & D-Brackets for Rear
Beaks Rear Lower Tie Bar
Blox Rear Lower Control Arms
Skunk2 Adjustable Front Camber Kit
DIY Rear Camber Kit (Washers)
Front Upper Strut Bar
Rear Cross-X Brace
C-Pillar Bar

I love my Hatch's handling. You having a Sedan do not have a Front Sway Bar or Rear Sway Bar. If you are looking for a better handling Daily Driver, I would suggest upgrading to 96-00 EX Front Lower Control Arms so you can run a Front Sway Bar. Go with the EX/HX 22mm one or an Aftermarket 18mm+ one. For the Rear you can pick up the 99-00 Civic Si 13mm Rear Sway bar and should be good for a good Daily. Get some Strut Bars to tighten up the chassis. For height adjustment, I'd suggest Koni Yellows w/ Ground Control Coilovers and at least a set of Front Ground Control Top Hats. Invest in a Front Camber Kit (Skunk2, Ingalls, Blox, OBX, etc) - I would suggest the Skunk2 Pro-Series so you dont damage the Strut Towers like the Skunk2 Tuner Series and other Camber Kits do. For the Rear you can do the Washer Trick for the Camber Kit, but if you really want you can get Adjustable Rear Camber Kit (Skunk2, Ingalls, Blox, Omni, etc). There are also adjustable Toe Arms available to set your Toe accordingly. These last two I will be eventually getting on my Hatch in the future, but for now the DIY Washer Trick for the Rear Camber has worked for me. Replacing old bushings will also help handling tremendously so if you truly want a Suspension Overhaul pick up a set of those Energy Suspension Bushings (the ones that come with every bushing suspension wise) and have at it - you need a Shop Press to replace bushings. Tires also play a very, very important role in handling.

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Also, I'd like to add, if you want to get adjustable front upper control arms, get the one that adjust ONLY with the screw. I think it's the ingalls, but am not 100% sure. I say this bc the Skunk2 Pro Series that I have only have four bolts that hold the ball joint from moving and therefore changing your camber. Had the mechanic not tighten the bolts tight enough twice and my alignment went out. The bolts also are very small and this is the reason why there weren't torqued very tight for fear of stripping them or breaking. The adjustment screw should make it much easier to adjust as well.

In addition, to the guys with the top hats and koni's, how nice is your ride? I have KYB AGXs and GCs and have had to raise the ride height to about one finger of wheel gap since the car rides like crap and is really annoying driving on long trips. Anyone had my setup and the koni setup? Any significant difference with the addition of the GC top hats?

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ I never had the KYB AGXs & Ground Controls w/ Top Hats, but I have Koni Yellows & Ground Controls w/ 4 Top Hats. It rides perfect. I love the ride, super smooth.

What setting do you have your AGXs set to? Maybe you should make them softer, so its not as annoying? I dunno, give it a try.

sketchman1981

sketchman
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'll have to read up on the camber and towe, I only have a basic knowlege of the technical aspect, something to do with the way the wheels face in or out right? camber I believe is the tilt of the wheel, and towe is the angle // \\ right? Since I've never done many modifications to my cars, I usually just get an alignment when I put on new suspension or wheels.

sketchman1981

sketchman
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
And I have 17'' konigs, with new tires. will upgrade the rubber later, I think they're just basic s rated tires now. it was a package, and I was in a hurry, just needed new tires so I could pick up my girl from SEATAC airport.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
17" is too big. Go 15's or 16's. I prefer 16's.

For a civic, there's pretty much 1 way everyone goes: ASR Subframe & 22+MM rear sway bar. Throw on a 3-point front strut bar, bigger front sway bar, 4-point password:jdm rear upper strut bar, shock/springs or coilovers, smaller wheels (than what you have), some nice tires, maybe a few other things, and you'll be set.

sketchman1981

sketchman
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why smaller wheels? I still have the original ones for when I take it to the track, they are what, 13-15? don't know, they're small. I prefer the look/style of larger wheels. I didn't want to go bigger than 17" because I'd have to worry about tire rub.

Shadow Walker

5+ Year Member
Best chassis reinforcement package I have personaly worked with in a coupe/sedan is :

PasswordJDM 3 point front upper
PasswordJDM 4 point rear upper
NRG 4 point front lower
ASR rear lower

The car this package is used in sees cornering forces so high it blew an engine do to oil starvation to the rod and main bearings. Note: stock oil pan.