Suspension

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a 99 Civic EX. With H&R sport springs and Koni yellow shocks. But I found that I slip out on fast turns. I tried my friends Civic with stock suspension but with all sway and strut bars and it drives better on turns... I figure my car isnt rigid enough.

What should I do?
Add a rear sway bar and a front sturt bar?

killer_siller

my real car is a toyota
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what're your alignment settings? what're the specs on the springs?

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
shitty tires? strut bars r just for bling mostly unless u go and get a 3pt...those help out a bit. get an si front sway and a ctr rear sway and ull be golden.

if u want to go all out.......f/r strut bars, f/r sway bars, c (b) pillar bar, f/r tiebars or x braces, stiffer suspension and beefier tires.

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
shitty tires? strut bars r just for bling mostly unless u go and get a 3pt...those help out a bit. get an si front sway and a ctr rear sway and ull be golden.

if u want to go all out.......f/r strut bars, f/r sway bars, c (b) pillar bar, f/r tiebars or x braces, stiffer suspension and beefier tires.

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good combo of suspension parts will help a lot

ASR sub-frame brace w/22+ mm sway bar, 3 point front strut bar and rear strut, good spring/shock combo and tires, just to name basics. thats prolly a good way to start. if you wanna get deeper, camber kits, pillar bars. the list goes on. All this reduces body flex, under/over steering, increase tire traction, body roll.

all this, an you could auto-x your car!!

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
killer_siller >
I dont have a camber kit. From memory i'll have to check at home but front was under 2 degrees and back was 3 After an entire summer looking at wear it was marginal. I'll just rotate the tires. I will scan my alignment paper I did last year but with all the bumps in Montreal.. its off...

Springs Integra OE Sport Springs [HR-50145-55]
Looking at the sticky here http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=68904

Stock 96-00 EX factory 165F/80R (P/P)
New (not sure which ones)
H&R OE Sport 302F/168R
or
H&R Sport 276F/276R (L/P)

Astheros >
I have changed my tires to Khomo something. Directional Sport summer less than 10,000km on them.
205/50/15 with SIR Mags.

knightxrider1 >
Slower on Corners? you mean by pushing the gas as your turning? Yes I do that...lol

X-aCuTiOnA >
I dont want to go crazy. I am probably selling this car next year but I want to "enjoy" it this summer =)
Since its just a peice of metal really I am thinking of ebaying them and nothing to complicated I can't install myself.
best bang for buck?

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ure tires should be good then. i think i have the same ones as you and they grip really well.

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Astheros>
I think i over over sized the tires thou and its too much contact area so pressure isnt very much thats why my back end slips.
from 185 to 205...
I'll get the exact model when I get out of work =)

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i like how nobody bothered to ask if its OVERSTEER or UNDERSTEER... kind of makes a big difference on how to fix it :roll:

just throw strut bars and sway bars at it! why diagnose the situation....

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so r u asking or just making an observation? :lol:
i have 205 tires and i dont slip

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^ im implying for him to state which effect is occuring :lol:

ive also got 205, and i have heavy understeer b/c of a heavy front end and gutted interior. strut bars and sway bars wouldnt fix this problem, alignment and weight shifting would however.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get dual wishbone independent rear suspension :thumbup:

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mugenkid18 >
3 problems I am having.

1) A bit of oversteer.
2) When i am doing a turn and i hit a bump (roads here are pretty bad) my entire car would SLIP !! which is very dangerous when doing at turn at 50+km/h (30mph+) and i hit a bump because my entire car would just slip out.
3) The steering wheel feels loose. its to easy to turn left and right. As if power steering is set for a baby girl you can move it with your fingure...its not good at all.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You have oversteer? Get an Si front sway bar.

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mugenkid18 >
3 problems I am having.

1) A bit of oversteer.
2) When i am doing a turn and i hit a bump (roads here are pretty bad) my entire car would SLIP !! which is very dangerous when doing at turn at 50+km/h (30mph+) and i hit a bump because my entire car would just slip out.
3) The steering wheel feels loose. its to easy to turn left and right. As if power steering is set for a baby girl you can move it with your fingure...its not good at all.
It sounds like your rear is too stiff... odd, because isn't that the desire effect of all the handling upgrades? To get less understeer. With the Konis, you can experiment and soften up the rear and stiffen up the front a little. If that doesn't help you can sell those Konis to me, lol.

killer_siller

my real car is a toyota
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
loose front steering and unpredictable handling in the front sounds like a toe-out issue to me. toe you can check with a tape measure.