Swap or boost

clifford_05

Rockin the d-series
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im kinda debating on either swapping or boosting.. Currently Im rollin with the d15b7.. Everyone knows they have no power, no vtec, small rods, not really a good motor except for mpgs.. I have a friend that would be willing to sell their d16z6 as a full swap for around $500.. Not a bad price for a good runnin z6.. But Id be lookin at another $500-$800 for labor for doing the swap.. So with lookin at around $1k or more for just a basic d-series swap, or I could save my money for boost.. So I could either use the money on a swap or just say f it and boost the b7 and just get a tune and roll with it.. And if the motor blows just throw the turbo on another d-series motor.. So should I boost the b7 or swap that s**t outta there?? And as for hp goals, Im not lookin for a ton of power.. Just something alittle quicker then what I got..

90B16Ed

At Your Mom's House
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, first thing I want to ask? Why don't you do the swap yourself? It's a direct bolt-in. Anyways, you say if the motor blows then "F" it and you'll just swap in another D-series. Why don't you save your money so you can do the swap and boost it too? I would say do the z6 swap (yourself, or have a friend help you if you don't feel right doing it) and then turbo that. You'll see way better performance out of a 16valve v.s the 8 valve engine. But, if you don't want to go with what I was saying, I would just boost the b7. You'll have more fun with that. And it won't blow unless you're running some insane amount of boost and it's not properly tuned.

neoc03

I CRAVE CORNERS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would do the swap (yourself) first, and the save for boost.

clifford_05

Rockin the d-series
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You'll see way better performance out of a 16valve v.s the 8 valve engine.
The d15b7 is a 16 valve, :lol: ..

As for swappin the motor myself I know I couldnt do it.. Ive never done a motor swap before and not to mention I dont have the tools needed to swap it out even if I wanted to try to do it.. I have 1 friend that would maybe help me out but he kinda likes to half s**t sometimes and I want to make sure its done right so Id pretty much be lookin at a shop to do it..

Svr_Civic

dont try, dont fail
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i done my d swap out in the backyard on the ground in 2 days takin my time cuz it was freakin cold outside ... first swap.. .u can do it

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yea its really not that hard....but i would suggest power tools lol....as well as you'll need somethen to lift the engine outta the bay.....

HybridKyle

5+ Year Member
I say go for the swap...$500-$800 for a shop to do that swap is a little high IMO...but then again they have to make money. You can do it, and you will definately need some air tools for a couple things (ie. axel nuts). Besides there is no better feeling of doing it yourself and firing that B!TCH up... :lol:

clifford_05

Rockin the d-series
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea its really not that hard....but i would suggest power tools lol....as well as you'll need somethen to lift the engine outta the bay.....
Yeah thats my biggest problem is I dont have any air tools and I dont have a engine hoist so doing it myself would be very hard considering I dont have the stuff needed to do it myself..

HybridKyle

5+ Year Member
Well, if you are considering having a shop do it for $500-800 take that money to buy the things you need to do it yourself...and you get to keep the tools!! You can buy an electric impact gun that should work in place of an air impact, instead of having to buy the compressor and all.

-Cherry picker (hoist)- $100-150
-Engine leveler(not needed but nice to have)- $50
-Impact gun(elec.)- $50
-Impact sockets (Walmart)- $20
-Impact socket for axel nuts(?size? I forget- Sears)- $15
-Mechanics tool set (Sears)- $200

Thats just a suggestion...
PS- If someone WOULD take a dump and put a Mugen badge on it, I'll rock it in my airbag delete tray!!! LMAO

slowcivic E G

bla bla bla
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea all you really need is basic 8-19mm sockets and a 32mm for the axle nuts and a ratchet. A decent pry bar, axles can be a pain sometimes, the cherry picker, jack, jack stands, a hammer and punch for shift linkage, or one of the long skinny bolts on the ac compressor. somewhere to drain coolant and/or oil into. adjustable wrench. And the knowledge to do it, the internet can be of assistance.Power tools aren't needed just make everything easier. On all the swaps i have done/helped with i havent used power tools.

90B16Ed

At Your Mom's House
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The d15b7 is a 16 valve, :lol: ..

As for swappin the motor myself I know I couldnt do it.. Ive never done a motor swap before and not to mention I dont have the tools needed to swap it out even if I wanted to try to do it.. I have 1 friend that would maybe help me out but he kinda likes to half s**t sometimes and I want to make sure its done right so Id pretty much be lookin at a shop to do it..
Sorry, I was thinking of the B8...oooppppies

o0kuam0o

Master of Ceremonies
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
boost it. put a z6 head on it.. you can pick them up on craigslist for around $100-$150 complete.

99EBPSi

RIP - MH - 11/06/06
Yeah thats my biggest problem is I dont have any air tools and I dont have a engine hoist so doing it myself would be very hard considering I dont have the stuff needed to do it myself..
i could prolly have my brother put in for alot less, if he has time.

99EBPSi

RIP - MH - 11/06/06
If I got a z6, how much do you think he might charge if he had the time??
idk, prolly a pretty decent price. Depends how long he thinks it would take. His b20 came out and tee b16 went in and got the turbo setup fabbed up in one night.:lol:

imbcruz

ItsMeBraulio!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Use these sites and do your research.. don't be scared to attempt to get your hands dirty.. Labor any where is going to cost you Money Read read read and you'll learn learn learn.. i would do the swap my self and save for boost.. and check around there always people selling Full D16z6 for less.. I got mind for $100 local in Jersey

clifford_05

Rockin the d-series
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
idk, prolly a pretty decent price. Depends how long he thinks it would take. His b20 came out and tee b16 went in and got the turbo setup fabbed up in one night.:lol:
Thats pretty quick, lol.. I guess if I do end up gettin a z6 then I'll get a hold of ya and see if he could do it or not..

fitbmx1986

speed safely
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
f**k the z6. Get a b18b for the same price almost. I picked mine up motor and tranny in mint shape for $500 its not even any harder to swap really besides a few more needed things. The wire harness from the b7 will work perfectly no mods except for maybe lengthening the o2 wire's. DO your research and take your time collecting the parts it will be worth it trust me. Last Feb i started getting stuff for my coupe and i spent maybe 800 all together search craigslist, junkyards etc for the random stuff like axles shift linkage ecu. I had never done anything more than like oil change, replacing belts and a few brake jobs and i had no problem doing the swap, i did have a friend helping me he didn;t know anything about hondas really. And the b18b will satisfy your needs for a while with no boost trust me. I had the b7 before in my 95 dx coupe and it was slow as balls. The b18 rips and almost a year later im still not sick of it, i am saving for boost now though. Just a thought for you i would def consider it.