swap or build k20 or boosted b16

boxinggsxr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so im thinkn and planning on starting a decent build next month if i can figure all this out....First I want to go boosted but i dont want to until the motor is fully built so i dont have problems in long run....now im just trying to figure out if im going to take out my b16 and build it or sell it and go for a k20 build....im not going to be trying for 8 sec or anything unrealistic...i mostly want to run 11-12...I like the idea of having a kseries because thats what will soon take over. what are some of your guys thoughts?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Although I've owned a b16, I'm very biased towards the k series. As you said, it's basically the future, but as with all new things it can be a bit pricey if you don't scavenge for second hand parts. Like you, i was content with going for a simple boosted setup but seeing NA K's do what boosted B's do, i see no point in sticking with the past unless there's a budget issue or some undying desire for a b series.

You could always do a cheaper k (k20a3 or k24a1) and just turbo that from the start. Stock internal k's hold 400+ whp with no problem.

I know people complain of the k series cost, but i don't think a lot of the younger guys remember back when b16 swaps used to be nearly 3000 and b18c-R's were over 5 grand and talked about like k20s

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
child is right b16 swaps were pricey as the kswaps are today that way
it all will boil down to money. but never underestimate the power that 1.6 can make. it is all not about motor. there is a lot more involved, suspension is a big factor in a 11 sec car too. So plan for the whole build good luck either way

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I like option number 3, but since you already have a b16 I say build what you already have. To me its just pointless to swap for something with more power when your setup has plenty of potential, all the money you save staying B will allow you to build the bottom end

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Although I've owned a b16, I'm very biased towards the k series. As you said, it's basically the future, but as with all new things it can be a bit pricey if you don't scavenge for second hand parts. Like you, i was content with going for a simple boosted setup but seeing NA K's do what boosted B's do, i see no point in sticking with the past unless there's a budget issue or some undying desire for a b series.

You could always do a cheaper k (k20a3 or k24a1) and just turbo that from the start. Stock internal k's hold 400+ whp with no problem.

I know people complain of the k series cost, but i don't think a lot of the younger guys remember back when b16 swaps used to be nearly 3000 and b18c-R's were over 5 grand and talked about like k20s
This is everything you need to hear in a nutshell.

I remember when B-swaps were insane, and getting ahold of an H22 was next to impossible, let alone the fabled b18c5.

I would recommend a K series, as well. If boost is what you're after, as CHILD said, the k24 is a great choice. They can be had for a lot less than k20's, and can make considerable power without having to jump through crazy hoops (so to speak).

boxinggsxr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks guys ya i also got a d15b jdm 3stage vtec that i use as a toy, it actually kicks better than b16 which is why i wasnt sure about building it or selling it...i could always sell the entire setup for 1800 here cuz theres not many where im at......and thats a good part of the money right there for the kseries.. plus with ppl on all the forms i can piece it together than some ppl the weight i dont mind i imagine 6-8 months for the build anyway

and the main thing was i didnt wana build a solid b16 just to have some semi built kseries blow me out the water thatd be a waste of money in long run.....thanks guys i just wanted to make sure im thinkn on right path.....my theorpy slow is smooth n smooth is fast