swap question

teddyrussell

id like to do a swap this winter on my 98 civic ex, i was thinking about a k20 b20 with b18 head or the b16, which one do u guys think would be the best?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
are you rich?..deep pockets?

TypeRkeyz

damnn u seem like u have good money. i have 98 civic coupe as well and i have a b18c5 type r. but with ur ideas id go k20.
k20a2 would be the best choice for me. really good power

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damnn u seem like u have good money. i have 98 civic coupe as well and i have a b18c5 type r. but with ur ideas id go k20.
k20a2 would be the best choice for me. really good power
b18c5 = 200 hp 134 tq

k20a2 = 200 hp 140 tq
id just go with a b-series type r.

TypeRkeyz

There both equivlent motors and around the same price. My b18c5 is just lovely but i also drove my friend 04 type s and its amzing as well. tough choice i say

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
Come on guys, we've been through this a million times.

What is your budget? What do you plan on doing with the car (drag, autocross, etc.)? Do you plan on going N/A or forced induction? What is your power goal?

teddyrussell

my pockets arent super deep and no i havent done alot of research im just asking an opinion geeze, the ebay prices arent that bad i mean s**t 1000 dollars isnt much for an engine im just wondering what u guys think would fit the best for the most horsepower

teddyrussell

or maybe rebuilding my d16y8 would be better idk i hear those are good motor to turbo im just asking questions guys not trying to be an a*****e so please dont give me s**t, my motor has 142k
on it

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
or maybe rebuilding my d16y8 would be better idk i hear those are good motor to turbo im just asking questions guys not trying to be an a*****e so please dont give me s**t, my motor has 142k
on it
Sorry if you think I'm being rude. I wasn't talking to you. Lol. My bad if that's what it looked like.

But what I'm saying is, everyone threw in their 2 cents on what you should get without first understanding what you wanted. Say you wanted to put your car under a lot of boost. The Type-R engine would be a horrible idea. Even under, I guess you could say, medium boost, a Type-R motor would be a horrible idea, especially if you are wanting to daily drive it. Because Honda likes to make power through higher compressions, a Type-R motor would have detonation issues under boost and the only way to get rid of these problems is through higher octane (bad idea if you daily drive it), lowering compression (why spend money on an expensive Type-R motor and then having to spend bank to lower compression when you can just buy a GSR or even an LS?), or scrapping the turbo idea altogether.

I won't give you the answer to your question because it would be best if you found the answer yourself. But I will give you some hints.

Hints:
Cheapest engine swaps that will make good power are B-Series and K-Series Engines.
Google B-Series Specs and K-Series Specs and research them on Wiki.
High compression engines are best for N/A builds.
Low compression engines are best for turbo builds.
Use the search button up top and look for past threads cuz I know that I've answered this question at least 4-5 times already.

Good luck.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my pockets arent super deep and no i havent done alot of research im just asking an opinion geeze, the ebay prices arent that bad i mean s**t 1000 dollars isnt much for an engine im just wondering what u guys think would fit the best for the most horsepower
on it
don't take it personally. like 2NRSTV said, its just that someone makes a thread just like this one pretty much everyday and it gets a bit annoying having to repeat ourselves all the time. if you would have searched for this topic instead of starting a new thread i guarantee you would have found several just like this. just sayin

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well wheer could i go to figure some of this s**t out myself,
did you see my first post? (#4) i included a link in there. all i did was google "honda swap guide" and that was one of hundreds of links