Swapping Y7 head to Y8 head

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you need a y8 head, y8 ecu, you will need to wire up a knock sensor and the vtec solenoid. thats all i can think of for now

AngelMR

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im doing this today im going to post a diy of how i did it so stay tune

Kazan

NYGaleCCo
5+ Year Member
sweet, i check up on this site almost 20 times a day :P hehe =)

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
heres a nice little write up for wiring vtec

save it to your comp then use an image viewer to zoom in on it.

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you need a y8 head, y8 ecu, you will need to wire up a knock sensor and the vtec solenoid. thats all i can think of for now
no point in the using the p2p ecu because it will search for knock sensor and fuel pressure sensor.
knock sensor is easy but the fuel pressure sensor is a b***h.

also if u have a cel light come on your vtec will not work.

saw it on h-t
correct me if i'm wrong

just get a p28 ecu make life much easy,also find people that will pass u on inspection.

i was about to do a mini me sway also but nah it take up to much money and time,so i just swap out the intake manifold instead.

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no point in the using the p2p ecu because it will search for knock sensor and fuel pressure sensor.
knock sensor is easy but the fuel pressure sensor is a b***h.

also if u have a cel light come on your vtec will not work.

saw it on h-t
correct me if i'm wrong

just get a p28 ecu make life much easy,also find people that will pass u on inspection.

i was about to do a mini me sway also but nah it take up to much money and time,so i just swap out the intake manifold instead.
yes a p28 ecu would work better i forgot about hat. but then hes gonna need obd2-obd1 conversion harness as well. vtec will still work with a cel just depends what the light is for.

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes a p28 ecu would work better i forgot about hat. but then hes gonna need obd2-obd1 conversion harness as well. vtec will still work with a cel just depends what the light is for.
ic well the harness only cost 60buck for obd2 to obd1

AngelMR

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i just did this today is really easy i swap the head all ready i havnt turn it on yet because i forgot the IM gasket and i need to wire vtec! does anybody got a write up for wiring vtec for a 99 - 00 civic im using a p28 ecu unchipped i hope it runs perfect

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just did this today is really easy i swap the head all ready i havnt turn it on yet because i forgot the IM gasket and i need to wire vtec! does anybody got a write up for wiring vtec for a 99 - 00 civic im using a p28 ecu unchipped i hope it runs perfect

let me know how it goes and do you fell a big ass different.

i might do it but im really lazy to work on my car:suprise:

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Vtec WILL engage if you have a CEL. If you dont believe me, hook up a Vtec light, and see for yourself. I did a y7-y8 mini-me (new timing belt, waterpump, headgasket, ect), and I have a CEL, for Code 90 (which is a EVAP system leak or some s**t like that). I have a Vtec light, and it kicks on all the time.

Kazan

NYGaleCCo
5+ Year Member
would it be a better choice if i swap heads with a z6 head, ive heard z6 breaths better then the Y8 head, thats what ive heard i dunno what they are talkin about but thats what i heard from alot of people, is it a better choice to go get a z6 head then a y8 and what other diffrence is there? and also if anyone agrees to the z6 breathing better... why so?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you use a z6 head, you'll need an adjustable cam gear, b/c the cams are bit different. Unless you want to use a y8 cam and gear.

Civicpmp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm sorry can some help eplain the wires connect on the Diagram above? I'm lost on it.

What's the difference between p2p and p28? What is each of them coming from?

AngelMR

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

let me know how it goes and do you fell a big ass different.

i might do it but im really lazy to work on my car:suprise:
yo thanks i just turn on my car and it runs perfect with a unchipped p28 i looking for this answer a long time ago and nobody answer it but i find out the hard way!! i need to wire vtec so i need to concentrate thanks guys!

AngelMR

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im happy the way it came out and in 1 1/2 days i did the whole swap and wire vtec i like how it feels but but if u r looking for performance is not the way to go

gtoman_05

Yah Its Orange
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So what would be the way to go if ur looking for performance?
I think what u did is pretty nice, how much money did u spend?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Um....swaping from a y7 to a y8 head is better performance. If your car is running slower, you did something wrong.