Tach / Ignitor problem (jumpy needle)

AcousticAudio

Built LSVTEC .63 a/r stg3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Alright, we've all heard of ignitors fouling up in the distributor. My car was running a little funny (misfires etc) and my needle was waving all over the tach so today I replaced both the ignitor and the coil in my dizzy. So far it has more or less solved the engines running problems, but my tach still jumps around a BIT, not nearly as much as before.

Any ideas? It also has a brand new cap, and 8.5 mm MSD plug wires, and NGK BKR7E spark plugs. I suppose I could try a new rotor too for the sake of having all new stuff.

Thanks for any help,
-Scott

VTEC_Civic97

5+ Year Member
just had this problem and it was my distributor...but check all ur grounds too, bad grounds can cause a funny idle too

AcousticAudio

Built LSVTEC .63 a/r stg3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was just coming on here to post that the problem has been solved, I had a loose thermostat ground :p

aznfish

5+ Year Member
hey im not sure if im having the same problems as you but while my car is at a complete stop, it surges, jerks and mainly does it when im in drive while the a/c is on. doesnt make any noise and the tach pretty much stays put at around 700 maybe jumps to 650ish when it jerks....you think it could be my thermostat ground too?