tail lights wont turn off

KiDxTrUe

5+ Year Member
I have a ef hatch and my tail lights won't turn off when I turn off my lights/car. My friend told me this means that my brake master cylinder is going out, is this true? I thought it would just b a short or a fuse. What's ur opinion?

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just to be sure, is it your parking lights, or your brake lights??

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Check your brake pedal, there is a plastic piece that pushes the Brake Switch and completes the circuit so that the brake lights go off. It will eventually break, happened to me on my EK a few years back. Just replace it with a 12mm Bolt and Nut ... I did that and have not had a problem since.

RonJ

Banned
^This.

See red part below.

If the taillights not the brake lights are staying on, check the light switch on the steering column.

Edison Carasio

Its the brake lights
Check out the post I left in the other thread you started for this, along with the one above your last post in this thread. I had the same exact problem in my car and that's what it is. Disconnect your battery if the car is sitting there, otherwise you're gonna drain it.

4gnhatch

thats the same thing that happened to me i just loosened the bolt on the brake switch and twisted like tightening it up a little and tighten the bolt back up and thats all still havent had a problem