Taillight paint

SRLNCLT

mad jdm yo
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Where is the cheapest place to get taillight paint. I got a 96 4 door and clear tails that I need to paint. Anyone know of a cheap place to get some online?
thanks
L.

2kstreetcivic

Runnin to Redline
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have never heard of "tailight paint"....you just need some translucent paint so that your lights will be able to shine through...also, you must sand down your tailights to paint them from what I have heard

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I painted some clears. Really ez. Just get some testors candy apple transparent spray paint. Any good hobby store should have it for ~$5. I wet sanded down the area with 2000 grit just to give it a little grip. The spray 4-5 really really light coats. You can always add more if you want it darker, but it's really hard to take off. Then I gave it a shot of clear just to be safe. Also do a good job taping off the unpainted parts. Good luck. It's a simple DIY and a good learning experience. PM if you have any questsion.

Noeladams

Keyboard Cowboy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
96greencivic said:
I painted some clears. Really ez. Just get some testors candy apple transparent spray paint. Any good hobby store should have it for ~$5. I wet sanded down the area with 2000 grit just to give it a little grip. The spray 4-5 really really light coats. You can always add more if you want it darker, but it's really hard to take off. Then I gave it a shot of clear just to be safe. Also do a good job taping off the unpainted parts. Good luck. It's a simple DIY and a good learning experience. PM if you have any questsion.

I would reccommend that one also, its a really good paint but I think that the ricershop ooh i mean autozone sells a taillight paint. :lol:

pearlgreenciv

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well thats cool, maybe ill get that done this weekend. is it also possable to pant the lights red and then add the smoke to them?

Akuma

VSM Beeyotch!!!11
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah if anyone has pics of smoked black tails.. that would be neat.. i would like to see what it looks like

saranaz86

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just smoked my tails...Super dark....i think im gonna redu them though....when i get home i'll post a pic :lol:

x007den

New User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i just painted mine red the other day so im gonna say go with what 96greencivic told you.

matts2ksi

save water...drink beer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I bought "Niteshades" but haven't put that on yet...may try this weekend, but I've been told that it is a good brand of taillight tint. but that's only if your looking to smoke em out...it sounded like you wanted to paint them red?!

Good luck!

SRLNCLT

mad jdm yo
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I may smoke the bottoms after I get the tops painted red. Hey matts2ksi, let me know how they turn out!
thanks
L.

matts2ksi

save water...drink beer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im trying to get you this pic of one I found...not mine, but it looks good!

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here is pic that I painted with the testors candy apple and testors tint on the bottom. I only did 3 coats of tint. I wanted it tinted not too dark, so the light will still show through nice.

Let me know if you have any questions.

matts2ksi

save water...drink beer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
96greencivic said:
Here is pic that I painted with the testors candy apple and testors tint on the bottom. I only did 3 coats of tint. I wanted it tinted not too dark, so the light will still show through nice.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Those look a little "orange" than the Si tails

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They may just look "orange". They really are very red. If you wanted it deeper, just apply more coats of the testors candy apple red transparent.

ben

excommunicated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
should I paint over the amber in my eg stocks? make them red with the little white?

saranaz86

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
got altezzas with your car?.....Tint em!...

yea i got the darkness that i wanted, but have to re-du....i did it when it was cold outside and the paint like bunched together....gonna wait till its warmer and do it over again

oh and i recomend led blubs ;)

matts2ksi

save water...drink beer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
IMO...I'm not a big fan on totally smokin' out the taillights, but whatever floats your boat!