Teenager stiffs out a 16k project from a shop

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Original Story here....: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/14/carsumer-advocacy-16-year-old-tries-to-bilk-shop-out-of-16k-jo/

It's time once again to wield the hammer of Carsumer Advocacy. In today's episode, however, it's not the consumer being oppressed by the big, bad corporation, but rather the small business owner defending himself against a customer. We take you to our scene set in sunny Ocala, Florida where a tuning shop called JapWorks is under siege by a 16 20-year-old kid. The shop owners are Aaron and Brandon, and the kid in question is Joe D who commissioned JapWorks to build out his Celica to the tune of $16,000. When the job was finished, Joe D denied ever agreeing to that much work despite having conversations with the owners in which he insisted that the bulk of the charges be paid upon delivery of the vehicle. Joe sent his mom and even his girlfriend to pick up the car, the latter even offering $60 and asking if her boyfriend could set up a payment plan.

What has ensued is one epic thread on the TampaRacing.com forums in which Aaron and Brandon have continually kept the community up to date on Joe's attempt to retrieve his Celica, which, by the way, was only recently financed by his mother who was told by her son that "sponsors" were paying for the car's customization. Aaron and Brandon also discovered that Joe has scammed people before after a number of victims came forward in the thread to identify shady dealings with him. The police and State Attorney's Office are now involved, and the car is tucked away in a secret location. Aaron tells us that wheels are in motion with state authorities to bring this dispute to a close, which will likely result in he and his partner taking possession of the car and selling it get their money back.

We highly suggest hitting up the forum thread below and following this madness across some 120 pages of posts. It gets especially interesting when Joe shows up to defend himself. Also, if your heart goes out to Aaron and Brandon who are bearing the weight of this financial burden, you can donate to help pay for the shop's legal fees here. Good luck guys!

UPDATE: We don't have the space to tell the whole story here, but Joe did put some money down and provided many parts and materials at the beginning of the project, though the shop owners realize the rest of their good faith was taken advantage of. And yes, Joe is 20 years old, not 16.
God damn...kids still follow FnF these days.....? And it's one of those kids who talk s**t on the internet, and got a car he never bought in the first place, to steal it after it gets built?

ryanM

it happens all the time.

some friends of mine that owned a shop went out of business because people were throwing down $20k drift car builds and not paying up.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
shops that do that much work without getting paid upfront deserve what they get imo... it is bad business and this is exactly why..

ryanM

shops that do that much work without getting paid upfront deserve what they get imo... it is bad business and this is exactly why..
thats how MOST shops work, you dont pay until the job is finished.

you get an estimate

work is performed

you pay for said work according to estimate, plus or minus any changes that occured

not all are like this, but damn near everywhere i have gone is.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
these people dont get their car back til they pay, right?

that VERBAL

AKA Theiven Stealberg
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've never come across a garage (performance tuning or not) in which you paid for the services up front.

I don't think it's the garage's fault at all.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Repost. This was prob around 6 months ago.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Correct.

And this is old. I read about this a while back.

Del_Slo

5+ Year Member
psh f**k him if they get to keep the car and he didn't pay up id just sell it.

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
I dont know wtf they wouldnt ask for 50% down... ANYTHING, ANYTHING over 1000k dollars that we did at the shop I worked at required half down before we would even start on it. That usually covered the parts and misc supplies if for some reason the customer didnt come back with the money. (happened more often than not.)

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how do you do 16k worth of labor and expect to get paid at the end by a young kid. theyre stupid and i dont feel all that bad.