Temp gauge advances when turned off

bentod

Every time my I turn my ignition from on to off (II to I) position it moves back about 3 degrees. It stays there until the next time I drive, moving ever more off zero. When I reset the gauges, it zeros out wherever it starts. That is, it does not go back to the original zero.

The gauge actually works fine in that it moves about 10 degrees when warm. Of course, that's if I remember where it started - which is always a different location.

Anyone see this before? Any ideas?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Sounds like the stepper motor is going bad and has lost its rest position. Or there perhaps its getting minor voltage from something else leaking into the circuit.

bentod

If it isn't a voltage leak, maybe a new gauge would fix it. I hate hunting down stray voltage.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
If it isn't a voltage leak, maybe a new gauge would fix it. I hate hunting down stray voltage.
Start pulling fuses and see if the gauge drops down. That's the easiest way to find a short. First though put a multimeter on it and see if there i steady voltage at the connector.

bentod

So, if I put a meter on the connector, I assume it would spike when I turned off the car? That would tell me, basically, what the problem is. Then I do the fuse thing and pinpoint which circuit is giving me the problem. Is that right?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
So, if I put a meter on the connector, I assume it would spike when I turned off the car? That would tell me, basically, what the problem is. Then I do the fuse thing and pinpoint which circuit is giving me the problem. Is that right?
Ya when the car is off the meter should read 0v.

upload_2015-12-21_18-30-29.png

Attachments

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Random issues like this are why I prefer older cars with analog gauges. Good luck solving it though.

dancam

Registered VIP
These are analog, if you mean mechanical that makes for an old car! Lol. But i prefer mechanical, much nicer.
Anyway, what trim level and year of car do you have? The 7th gen guages i am familiar with have about a 30degree sweep from cold to thermostat opening temp is why im wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bentod

I was just guessing on the angles. I believe it is a 4 door VP. The title doesn't say and the emblems have been removed. It doesn't have power windows but it is a 4-speed automatic.

dancam

Registered VIP
Ok, easiest way to find out is phone a dealership and give em your vin. They will tell you what it is. The different trim levels had different instrument clusters. Probably need to replace that part of your cluster. Go to a wrecker and take one out of a civic there and see if that part is replaceable or not. If you post a picture of your cluster here and its the same as the one i have sitting out in my shed i can check it for you and save you some time. But the stock temp gauge in kinda useless anyway imo, just install an aftermarket mechanical or electric one =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk