Test Pipe Questions

lagunak47

Hello all!
had a few questions about a buying a test pipe. I have a 5speed 00 civic sedan with a d16y8. It has everything possible to make it breathe better besides a test pipe/ high flow cat etc. I have an aem cold air intake, dc sports ceramic 4-1 headers, and a custom bent 2.5" exhaust that is a straight pipe from the cat (besides 2.5' muffler) it has a nice low growl to it that is remittent of a corvette exhaust. so my questions are

1. will it make it sound ricey?
2. is it worth the effort for probably negligible hp gain?
3. how much of a hp/torque gain will i see
4. is there an easier way to pass smog with it than to reinstall the cat? I live in a state where they only read the ecu. no visual, no exhaust breather.

ps. its a road car, so not concerned about straight line speed. more about being able to get on it out of a corner.

thanks!:D

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hello all!
had a few questions about a buying a test pipe. I have a 5speed 00 civic sedan with a d16y8. It has everything possible to make it breathe better besides a test pipe/ high flow cat etc. I have an aem cold air intake, dc sports ceramic 4-1 headers, and a custom bent 2.5" exhaust that is a straight pipe from the cat (besides 2.5' muffler) it has a nice low growl to it that is remittent of a corvette exhaust. so my questions are

1. will it make it sound ricey?
2. is it worth the effort for probably negligible hp gain?
3. how much of a hp/torque gain will i see
4. is there an easier way to pass smog with it than to reinstall the cat? I live in a state where they only read the ecu. no visual, no exhaust breather.

ps. its a road car, so not concerned about straight line speed. more about being able to get on it out of a corner.

thanks!:D
1. Test pipes don't make your exhaust sound "ricey" as you put it, its more about the exhaust diameter, resonators and the muffler. (the muffler being the most important) If it has a growl now, it should be slightly louder with a test pipe due to removing the bottle neck in the exhaust.

2. A test pipe without having the car tuned on a d series and even b series motors has shown very little gain. Even when tuned, it isn't much of a hp increase unless the car is under forced induction.

3. 1-5 hp (5 being optimistic)

4. They sell O2 de-foulers that could help it to pass emissions. It extends the O2 further from the center of the piping....but it doesn't always get the job done.

lagunak47

hmmm. thanks for the response! the previous owner tuned it to the parts he put on it, intake and headers. are they just adjusting the timing when they tune it?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
timing, ignition, fuel tables, air/fuel ratio,.....several things should be modified when tuning. What did they tune it with? hondata? crome?

If its just "chipped" then its not tuned. People sometimes use pre-calibrated base maps based off of the mods they have to get a lil boost in performace.

lagunak47

timing, ignition, fuel tables, air/fuel ratio,.....several things should be modified when tuning. What did they tune it with? hondata? crome?

If its just "chipped" then its not tuned. People sometimes use pre-calibrated base maps based off of the mods they have to get a lil boost in performace.
hmm i honestly have no clue. ill have to check into that.

emerican

Registered VIP
The non fouler trick worked for me i can link you to a good write up i found on doing it if youd like, but it isnt difficult at all.
I dont have to pass emmsions though i just did the trick to get the cel out of my face.