"The New Guy" (99 EX Coupe)

neonracer2k5

Whats up guys.. I just bought this 99 EX Coupe this weekend after saving all summer. It's got 160,000 miles and I bargained for $3,000! The guy I bought it from only had it for two months because he needed a bigger car for his "expanding" family. The only downfall is that he doesn't know any of the maintenance records.

The car came with a short-throw shifter, recently replaced factory clutch, painted front lip, painted oem side skirts, mesh grill, fog lights, Sony head unit, ignition kill switch, fake pedal covers, and somewhat aged window tint. =)

I really love this car though. I've been looking for months on craigslist and it's been hard to find a 99-00 EX for less than $3,250 so I really had to jump on this deal. This is my first car and obviously my first stick shift, so I'm having a lot of fun learning. I love the vtec, it feels so much quicker than my parents' 01 Civic LX. lols

Anyways, I'm hopeful this online community is welcoming and will provide a lot of support for a newbie like me. Tips on the stick shift would be greatly appreciated too! I'm having trouble with traffic.. I can't figure if I should be in 1st or second. and those "rush hour highway entrance stoplights" annoy the hell outta me. haha, peace guys.

MIkeSiR

Good BUy and definitely a good start, enjoy the car!

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good pick up man, practice makes perfect man...:thumbup:

civicmand16y7

Registered VIP
yea man that is a good damn buy i would have jumped all over myself and i dont like the 6th gen.. and for driveing it with a stick just do what i did when i frist learn how to drive a stick... just get in and go.. what are your plans for it? on a side note theres a guy on here saleing a mugen 4-2-1 header....look in the parts for sale theaards it fits your motor its also a good buy

neonracer2k5

well I've only got a little over a thousand to spare from working this summer. I'm currently attending school so I can't say I have much money to work with. I'd like to eventually drop it 1.7" and do a little suspension work. If I really had more money, I'd install a CAI followed by 4-2-1 headers, then a catback exhaust.

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn!! Very clean car man! I was super excited when I first got my green 96 Civic EX coupe! You definatly have a nice slate to start off of. Enjoy your new car, but think ahead on what you want to do with it. Do the jobs/installs the right way, buy quality parts and you won't regret anything. Trust me man! Good luck with everything!

brettait

the car is good and maintained well,its far better you can go for it and enjoy the ride man....

neonracer2k5

thanks guys. Just one question tho.. I get the rpms pretty high every now and then, you know it's a vtec motor. On my next oil change will it do any harm if I use full synthetic oil (burning, seal leaks) on this high mileage motor? Or should I use an oil for high mileage engines? I have no records or information of the prior maintenance to this car. The engine looks clean enough to have been swapped already. Any thoughts please?

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would say just stick to regular, high mileage wouldnt be a bad idea. When its ran regular that long, and you switch to synthetic, it can actually leak some. i switched and it leaked a little, ive also heard other peole with that problem. Car looks really clean though and appears to be taken well care of

Nice ride bro. I just recently picked up a '97 Civic Ex off C/L for $1500, but I had to put in some Money & time to get it going.

About the stick shift in traffic, just keep on working on it and sooner or later you won't even be thinking about that ;)

It kinda sucks when you don't know the previous history/maintenance about a car but thats how it is sometimes. Visually looking at it, it looks like its been a well maintained car, Which is a good thing!

N-tensecivic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Man that is a great deal. There's not many clean civics out there with prices like that. I remember my first honda, it was a 99 ex. I couldn't image not having vtec lol. Just like everyone else has said on the stick shift, practice definitely makes perfect.

Welcome the site, there is plenty of knowledge here to help you out. Enjoy you civic!

FlatRate

5+ Year Member
Dam I just got one too and its the same one as yours. Green 99 Civic EX for $2500. Mines got 199k though and has trans noise as well as top end noise, but no worries. I'm driving it until it dies and then swapping in a B18c into it.

Mines don't have ABS and no rear sway bar so I'm looking into getting an ITR bar for it, or even a GSR if I can find it. Current upgrades I did was factory alarm and I have both window regulator with mototrs on the way. My driver window doesn't roll all the way up and with rain season comming, I just can't have it.

Stil has factory head unit but antenna is broke and CD doesn't work. I'm ok with that though, not too big on music anyways. Looking for OEM gray mats but it seems Honda has discontinued and only providing black now. May just end up getting them.

jeremyB16a

yea it's a nice ride man! A got a 00 ex with a b16a2 "99 si motor" paid 4500. just get a book on it an read it a few times. That'll help a lot. An about tha drivin thoes motors are pretty tough. Don't be scared to drive it's the only way to learn.

rayaccord101

Registered VIP
is it just me or does ur front bumper cover ur headlights a little bit? might be a 2000 front and he forgot to get the correct headlights or something