The Painting Process Begins...Lots of Pics!!!

96 EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
douggiefresh said:
Looks like your doing a great job man. He isnt going to spray over the 180 scratchs is he? Im not sure what your steps are going to be but you should 320 the car then 600 wet it before you paint it....or at least 320 the car and seal it. I wouldnt spray over 180 scratchs they are pretty heavy. Otherwise it looks like your doing a nice job on it. Are you pulling the windows and everything? What materials are you using (paint/clear)?

Yea a pearl would be nice on that red, just make sure that you remember what pearl you mixed....only thing that sucks is pearls are very hard to blend, where as you could just blend a fneder and a door, if you got into an accident with a pearl youd have to blend the whole side to make it not noticable. I paint myself and painting is def an art, tell your father I wish him luck with it! and I cant wait to see some paint on it!
LoL, no hes not gonna spray over the 180 stage. I just blocked the car with 180 to show me where the dents are. Then we are going to fill in the dents (hail damage) and prime then block. Gonna prime and block as many times as we need. The paint is Daimont basecoat/clearcoat (BASF). No were not pulling the windows although I do need a new windshield. haha
For those interested, here is a pic of my dads camaro that he painted and did a complete frame off restoration himself. The pics will give me some sort of an idea of hopefully how slick my car will be.

96 EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well day 3 was kind of a waste because I didnt get anything done except for work on my foglights a bit. Tomorrow is going to be great. Gonna get the moldings and all the black plastic that is to be painted readyfor paint. Ill prolly post pics up tomorrow.

Neon_ice

security at its finest
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Error404 said:
My painter mixed the pearl with the clear..

Looks like you got some good progress 96

that is correct, but your supposed to put it in your "base" clear only, if you put it in all the coats, it looks 'dusty'

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Neon_ice said:
that is correct, but your supposed to put it in your "base" clear only, if you put it in all the coats, it looks 'dusty'
Seemed like the other guy explained you supposed to shoot the base, shoot another coat of base with the pearl in it, then shoot the clear, which to me, didn't seem correct.

96 EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Day 4 was a good day. I fianally fixed my foglights for good and my dad got busy on the body work. We filled in a few places on the roof, hood, sides, and trunk. After we filled the dents with metal glaze, we then blocked them down. I also wanted the "H" emblem gone off of the trunk so the 2 line up holes were welded shut and ground down before a thin layer of metal glaze was applied. I got all of my plastic pieces cleaned up. I did a three step process to each part to get them nice and clean so the paint would stick. First off I cleaned them with purple power, then an adbrasive cleaner that I forgot the name of, and lastly another cleaner with the same name as the adbrasive stuff. Here are some pics of the statred body work.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So are you keeping the antenna or ditching it? I can't see if you've done anything with it.

96 EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I guess Im keeping it. May want to listen to the radio sometime...I could always shave it but I dont want to buy a hidden antenna kit. Hopefully getting some clear sidemarkers if I win the bid on ebay so ill maybe have them in a few.

Neon_ice

security at its finest
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what brand of body filler are you using?

ek2ner_knox

5+ Year Member
Error404 said:
Seemed like the other guy explained you supposed to shoot the base, shoot another coat of base with the pearl in it, then shoot the clear, which to me, didn't seem correct.
actually i am right...thats why its called a tri-coat...u shoot base, then when u shoot the pearl it doesnt come out with the base it comes out in a transparent liquid, its not clear coat idk what it technically is...but you clear over the top of it....hence the name TRI-coat...for 3 coats

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Kind of like stock Honda Milano Red is a tricoat. A couple other Honda paints are supposed to be tricoats, including Aspen White Tricoat (1.7EL, MDX), Indy Yellow Pearl (NSX), Premium White Pearl (RL, RSX, TSX), and Rio Yellow Pearl (NSX, S2000).

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks good so far, i think you should fill in the holes for the sidemolding clips and leave the little body indent there, but without the moldings (like Jezeks car, i know others have done it, but thats the only example i can think of right now lol). That would look CLEAN as hell in my opinion.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
nice nice...! I am definitly going to refer to this thread when i go to paint my car n whatn0t. =)

96 EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Day 5 was sort of a good day. We (me and dad) got a little accomplished. We started to shave the license plate holes on the front bumper and sand a bit more. No emblems and no bolt holes will definately smooth up the body I think. Also I took out my rear package tray that covers the rear speakers and I put insulation underneath it to keep the vibrations down. It worked pretty good so no more annoying vibration when I turn up the music a little bit!! Just clean clear music! =) Hopefully getting some primer on it this weekend and maybe painting it next weekend...Cant wait. Here is some pics of the package tray, fender shot, and the bumper.

96 EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well today(Saturday) my dad got 3 coats of primer put on. Going to use guiidecoat and block it next before paint goes on. Hopefully going to paint it next weekend!!!

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you are doing a damn good job so far...

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looks great .... i woulda shaved the sidemoldings but thats just me.

96 EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have got my sidemarker lights testfitted. They are clear and Im running a superwhite/blue bulb to match my tach and other gauges as well as my headlights. Here are some pics: