The truth: D16 bolt-ons

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
everyone knows that d-series bolt ons dont make s**t for power just slapped on. IMO the 1st money spent on a d16 should be for an affordable ems like neptune. it will help utilize the bolt ons a little more than just throwing them on and expecting to make power.

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If only project car magazine have an established website because in a few back issues they boosted a z6 for 1,800 bucks!:twocents:

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well, if you think bolt-ons make a b-series any faster then... :lol:

silk007

ducky ducky
5+ Year Member
That is true. We are on the same page for the most part. The stuff I have done to mine so far are all about the looks and functionality to me personally. I haven't done much in the form of power as I am still undecided weather I want to do a swap or build my D series into the beast that I know it could be. I know they aren't the favored motors, but that is kind of appealing to me to step out of the B and the other popular swaps and do the unpopular.
AMEN

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I dont remember the number of the issue but its the one that involves them building 2 EF model. one is a red crx and one is a blue hatch.
alright, i remembered right after i posted the Q that i had that issue, read it thouroughly, but didnt think much of it becuase i hadent gotten my civic yet. ill scan it and post in a seperate thread next time i go home for thouse who are intersted or want to add/ critique it.

Indy_Civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
alright, i remembered right after i posted the Q that i had that issue, read it thouroughly, but didnt think much of it becuase i hadent gotten my civic yet. ill scan it and post in a seperate thread next time i go home for thouse who are intersted or want to add/ critique it.
sounds like another sticky ;)

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
another reason to do bolt ons is for autox. doing engine swaps puts you in a different class so buildin up the stock motor keeps you closer to the stock class. except when doin a turbo or supercharger setup of course.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
another reason to do bolt ons is for autox. doing engine swaps puts you in a different class so buildin up the stock motor keeps you closer to the stock class. except when doin a turbo or supercharger setup of course.
a camshaft swap and cam gear alone would get you almost the same power results as the I/H/E on a sohc

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
very true but it takes more patients and skill to swap the cam. for me it aint that hard cause i took engine repair at cp so i got experience doin that but for begginers they will prob be better off starting with the small stuff. anyways intakes can only get so complex. and the header is the only part that you get the most power gain imo

Indy_Civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you were going to do a serious NA build you would end up wanting ITBs anyway, making a typical bolton intake pointless

Naught260

5+ Year Member
Not really if you can do your own tuning, and can source some GSX throttle bodies.

I've got intake and exhaust on my car. I didn't pay that much for it, and the intake came with the car. I'm about to get a header, since my manifold needs to be replaced anyway. If I choose to do anything later, I'm going to need most of those parts, and since I don't plan to boost, I know I can keep using them.

I like the info, but let's not make value judgements. If you don't think I/H/E is worth the money, don't buy it. As for me, I recall that the article said response had improved noticeably even if the peak horsepower didn't jump that high. I also like the sound those parts make. That makes it worth it for me.

zeesixed3

5+ Year Member
honestly i think it all comes down to what you want and what you have, for example i have a ed3 with a z6 in it, no its not the fastest thing out there but with a few "BOLT ONS" it will be well quick enough for me and for the car the swap and some bolt ons its still not up to the cost of a fresh turbo kit

Car and swap...$600
New JDM mani...$50
fresh exaust...$200
Ebay springs...$50
Pep boys intake...$50

= A nice little four door for under a grand lmfao

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
honestly i think it all comes down to what you want and what you have, for example i have a ed3 with a z6 in it, no its not the fastest thing out there but with a few "BOLT ONS" it will be well quick enough for me and for the car the swap and some bolt ons its still not up to the cost of a fresh turbo kit

Car and swap...$600
New JDM mani...$50
fresh exaust...$200
Ebay springs...$50
Pep boys intake...$50

= A nice little four door for under a grand lmfao
that setup is basically like this bolt on example in post 1, except its with no header. Sure you can get I/H/E cheaper than the MSRP but it doesn't make it perform any better

zeesixed3

5+ Year Member
that setup is basically like this bolt on example in post 1, except its with no header. Sure you can get I/H/E cheaper than the MSRP but it doesn't make it perform any better
maybe not on his car but in my car that little ten horsies makes a diff... again not the biggest but a difference and say i get a few more cheap bolt-ons put down lets say 125 maybe 130 to the crank in my car as light as it is id be straight for a daily lol