thinking about an engine swap

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its all in what you want. the h23 is a 160hp non vtec. if you arent worried about vtec then its a very good and reasonable choice.

jpick571

jpick571
well the one im looking at is at a shop the next city over its a JDM H23 DOHC VTEC is goin for 975 or 1400 w/ install now can i so all the same things to it as i would a h22 or is there a major difference and if you could explain exactly the difference between vtech and non vtech that would be helpful

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
everything you would think about doing to a H22 you can do to a H23. the big difference is the vtec. vtec is a function that allows the itake valves to stay open a little longer. it is a nice thing to have but it has its downfalls. bone stock a non vtec has a smoother hp curve where as a vtec motor has a power spike when it engages

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the "H23 Vtec" is actually and F23 out of an accord euro r. there is a whole lot of work to make a 10 second car with an H motor. the stock cylinder sleeves are junk for high horsepower. the whole thing will need to be torn down and resleeved.

If you do go with an H, i highly recommend getting and adaptor kit an using a b series tranny. h sries trans are a weak point in most h builds

jpick571

jpick571
so your pretty much hsayin go with the h22 and then get the b trans and start going to town from there

civicsoulja21

Registered VIP
You got 8 years on me lol
And yeah i can.
Yes a k series is not a normal motor for this car by all means but i do think it would be a nice swap.
And ok sorry lol ive never watched a dyno on it i go by what they rate (which seems to save people money on insurance lol.
Yes the k route is a lot more expensive id say three grand maybe 4 which you wouldve seen just by looking the 2 motors up on ebay haha.
And the problem with the h22 type s is because many people have tried to do it (including the shop my dad got his JDM GSr swap done to his EX) and he said something to us about the wirin not being able to work.
SleepingSol i got a q, now k pro and flashpro, flashpro is just launch control and some other small things correct? i havent really looked into it for the dont make it on my b16

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
kpro and flashpro are full engine managements for the Kseries and S2000. Kpro is for the AP1 S2000 and RSX. Flashpro is for AP2 S2000 and new Civic Si. the only big difference is that FlashPro allows for "live tuning", which mans you dont have to turn the car off to load the new adjustments

e4rthquake

i have a 97 ex d16 stock and i want to swap for a b20 dohc anyone know how difficult this is? also if anyone knows what the price would be for that i assume the engine will run 400-700 and then im wondering how much in parts to make it fit and moutn?? ty in advance for help.

1993hatch

5+ Year Member
VTEC, not VTECH....

H22's r gay, unless if you only plan on dragging the car. Good luck cornering with a heavyass motor

K20 for life MF!!!