Thinking about getting low

I is CLU7CH

With my recent purchase of a mint em1 I want to slam my current ej8 for fun. I know many people cringe of the idea of form over function but come on we all know the d16 power plant isn't going to do me much... thats also why I bought my em1. I was looking for some suggestions on coilovers I have already purchased both front and rear camber kits. I am new to suspension work and was wondering if it is worth it to spend the extra cash to get better coilovers or just slam it on some cheaper skunk2s or d2s.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do not go cheap on suspension. D2s I've heard nothing but bad things about and Skunk2's are iffy.

Function and Form and Koni Yellows with Ground Controls are good, reasonably priced setups.
I spent $550 on my Function and Form Type 1s and I love them.

Here is a good source to look into suspension setups:
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=206087

Here are some good visuals:
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=45207

As far as the camber kit goes, you really don't need one. So here is the ever wonderful camber kit arguement:
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=199650

Just research kid. It's the best way you'll learn what you want.

I is CLU7CH

That seems to be really popular something I'm actually going to look into for both of the cars forsure. Seems like theres a good amount of height adjustability there too. For the ej8 tho im looking for a flush to a little poke look and i have no idea what kinda offset or what kind of spacers i would need

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That seems to be really popular something I'm actually going to look into for both of the cars forsure. Seems like theres a good amount of height adjustability there too. For the ej8 tho im looking for a flush to a little poke look and i have no idea what kinda offset or what kind of spacers i would need
You would have to talk to the herra HF cats about that. That's not really my style :what:

Where's Greg?!

I is CLU7CH

Kinda figured it wasnt thanks for the help with the suspension though I think you got me hooked on that set up the more I look I only see good things. I take it youre into a function style for something like auto-x? I know im a noob to the scene but you gotta start somewhere right?

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Kinda figured it wasnt thanks for the help with the suspension though I think you got me hooked on that set up the more I look I only see good things. I take it youre into a function style for something like auto-x? I know im a noob to the scene but you gotta start somewhere right?
It's not really auto-x, I just like the "dumped and tucked" look. That's how I started and I've stayed that way.
Look at my last pictures of my build thread to see my suspension if you're curious.

And it's okay, at least you're admitting it. Like I said, just research and you'll learn a ton :thumbs up

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Slammed does not automatically = good handling. It's usually the opposite, depending on the setup and how low you really are.

Check out those links crash posted, good information. And a lot of people do think they need camber kits. Tire places will try to sell you this idea. Don't buy into it. All you need is an alignment. As long as your toe is in check, you'll be fine. That is unless you have like -7º of camber or something absurd.

I is CLU7CH

Oh I'm reading and learning haha... gotta love learning more about your car than math in stats class

The car looks good I'm usually not a fan of the tucked look but it fits the car nicely

I is CLU7CH

Slammed does not automatically = good handling. It's usually the opposite, depending on the setup and how low you really are.

Check out those links crash posted, good information. And a lot of people do think they need camber kits. Tire places will try to sell you this idea. Don't buy into it. All you need is an alignment. As long as your toe is in check, you'll be fine. That is unless you have like -7º of camber or something absurd.
For my em1 im not going to go so slammed I want to make that an auto-x car. Like I said I'm new to the scene so I am learning and it is a lot to take in.

The ej8 I'm just going to mess around with and go for the slammed hf or poke look so the camber kits are to help with the look.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For my em1 im not going to go so slammed I want to make that an auto-x car. Like I said I'm new to the scene so I am learning and it is a lot to take in.

The ej8 I'm just going to mess around with and go for the slammed hf or poke look so the camber kits are to help with the look.
you should do a couple sessions with the car completely stock. it will be a good reference point to compare against results after the modification.

I is CLU7CH

I was planning on it. I dont have the $$$ to start that project yet. The em1 I want to take time and do right. The ej8 I just want to do for fun

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you should do a couple sessions with the car completely stock. it will be a good reference point to compare against results after the modification.
This.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was planning on it. I dont have the $$$ to start that project yet. The em1 I want to take time and do right. The ej8 I just want to do for fun
Well... To do autocross all you need a money to participate, a car, and a helmet. Depending on who organizes the events, they might require for your car to pass some sort of inspection. Do not be alarmed, if your car is bone stock, there is no reason why it shouldn't be allowed to participate.

If you do not have a helmet, sometimes they have loaners. When i did autocross i was charged $30 for the day. It all depends too, on the location and who is hosting the sessions.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A d16 can go a VERY long way with the right suspension setup. In fact the D powered civics are some of the fastest.

AutoX can be about as cheap or expensive as you want. A lot of people think you need to do all this work before you start, but that's the worst thing you could do. You'll actually be slower.. Find some local clubs and take your car out asap.

IMO, blowing ~$600-$800 to slam your ej8 is only going to slow down making your EM1 better. Expensive and unnecessary mods will just dig a deeper hole. I have a DD and that car just has a few very minor mods. But all of them were freebies either old parts from my race car or given to me for free by friends. I'd love to do more to it, but I know my money is better spent on the race car(s...soon to be plural..).

I is CLU7CH

I wasnt planning on doing anything to the em1 until at least next winter. the only mods I would do is suspension intake and possibly an exhaust to keep me in the same class for SCCA. I have done a couple SCCA events in the ej8 this past summer. It is actually the reason why I am starting to get into the car scene. So much better than going in a straight line... tonight is a very bad night though. Deer met driverside of my ej8 :( hood, fender, bumper and headlight are done.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn that blows. If you just wanna get low with the ej8 i'd say get some lowering springs like Stechs or sumthing. If you really want to slam it function and forms are probably the best most reasonably priced way to go. Then save the konis and ground controls for the em1.

I is CLU7CH

Deer 1 Civic 0
When i woke up this morning and looked at the damage in the light it was a lot worse than I thought. Waiting on my insurance company now. I'm glad the winters good here this year I'd feel so bad driving my em1 on the salty snowy roads

I already have lowering springs on the ej8 which are starting to sag now. I want to do a coilover setup so I can dump it and not worry about uneven rates. I was looking into k sports kontrol pros for a while last night and kept reading mixed reviews. It seemed about 50/50 on good and bad. Anyone have any input on those?

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've heard good and bad things about Ksports. You can clam that ish though.