Thinking about my future.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So my father is about to retire from the fire department in November, and I will lose the health insurance I get through him when he does. So the pressure is on to find a good job with insurance. I am currently working towards my high school diploma (I'm 20, dropped out of high school) and will have it after this semester is up in December. I've been seriously considering three things, well technically four.

-Military (Army)
-Police
-Fire Department
-Army reserves

So all of my life I've been interested in military but never quite made the leap. I had a temponaplasty (spelling) surgery to fix a ruptured ear drum and the surgery was successful. I've recently learned that what I thought was diminished hearing was really only built up wax blocking my hearing. So now this door has opened up. The long term benefits are what really draw me towards this, and I've always been interested in tactical training and weapons, etc. Call me crazy but honestly I would want to do infantry. Yes I understand what it entails. The obvious downsides would be the time away from home. I have a girlfriend who I've been with for five years, high school sweet hearts. She's not tying me down, but the time away would obviously make things harder between us. She's confident in our relationships ability to endure this, as am I. After one enlistment, if the job is for me, I would consider re enlisting, mainly for the early retirement, but this would mean a life full of danger (depending on my MOS), and lots of time away from my family. High risk.

My second consideration (these are in order by the way) would be police. My father has been a fireman since he was 23. I grew up around public safety, my father does floor covering (carpentry) on the side and I've helped him often, meeting many other police and firemen. I know a lot about their jobs and both of them appeal to me though police more than firefighter. Law enforcement is about the closest thing to military I can think of, I will still receive close quarters combat training, weapons training, tactical training, and chances for lots of certifications and such. Also good benefits and retirement/pension plans. No travel, home by the end of the day. The downsides would be long boring hours riding around in a patrol car with nothing going on, the blatant and ever so common disrespect for law enforcement, and political bullshit. (These are not all of the downsides, obviously, just the ones that stand out to me)

One thing that gets in the way of me joining the police force is my past drug use. I've spoken to many police that tell me it's not disqualifying and just puts me lower on the totem poll but I can't be certain. I smoked weed every day for about four years. They do a lie detector test to dig into your background, you pass if you're 100 percent honest. Unfortunately, my honesty is slightly incriminating. The military men I've talked to about this all just tell me to write no prior drug use on the forms, and never mention it. Ever.

Third would be firefighter. I know this job inside and out, I practically grew up at the fire station. Would go there every day after school. I LIKE this job, but it's not where my heart is. The military rank structure appeals to me, and the benefits and retirement package. In all actuality, this job doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as these others, but it's almost a promised job through my father.

Fourth is the reserves. This one's iffy as well. They say in the reserves you go to basic training just like active duty soldiers and then go back to your civilian job and report to drills one weekend a month and a two week deployment in the summer. You are paid (low) for these drills with what is called "drill pay", and you are paid basic pay for deployment. You can be called for deployment at any time and be sent anywhere. To me, this defeats the purpose of the reserves. If I'm going to be deployed, I may as well switch to active duty and receive the full benefits package and pay.

I've got a few decisions to make, and unfortunately not a whole lot of time to make them. Sorry to dump all this out there, If it bothers you, don't reply. I know a lot of you guys here and it's good to have people to talk about these things with. I'm open to plenty of suggestions and I think my interests are clear. Thanks in advance!

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Their are differences between guard and reserve. Guard helps state when needed. You get plenty of benefits. Yes not active duty pay every month but no worries about moving around and we are told a year prior to a deployment. Plus if want to get a job in police or whereever the military on resume helps. Ohh and don't go infantry if you can help it.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Their are differences between guard and reserve. Guard helps state when needed. You get plenty of benefits. Yes not active duty pay every month but no worries about moving around and we are told a year prior to a deployment. Plus if want to get a job in police or whereever the military on resume helps. Ohh and don't go infantry if you can help it.
The guard eh? What is basic for the guard? Army basic?

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ten hour bump :P

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't know anything about military, but I don't find it appealing whatsoever (it's not about me though). Honestly, I would say fire. My dad has been a firefighter/now a paramedic for 22(ish) years now. You have to bust your ass at first, just like police and military, but I feel like the pay-off is better in the end. You get paid pretty well, and you would have a killer schedule. I don't know about over there but the guys around here work a modified Detroit schedule. 48 hours on and 4 days off. So you can definitely go have hobbies and such. Also you have the potential to move up in the fire department (my dad went to UW for 10 months to be a paramedic when he couldn't handle doing all the firefighter labor) and LOVES it. I also feel like being a firefighter would be mentally WAY more rewarding than any of the others you listed. Police is obvious, people are generally not very happy when they come around. And some of the messed up things and danger you will be put in as a police officer or military is way more common I feel compared to fire. Also coming from a girlfriend perspective (this is just me), I will not date someone in the military. That is not an option.

These are just my opinions, I grew up with the fire department too. It's always been full of really great people and I consider a lot of them family, so I may be biased ;) But if your heart isn't in it. Well...

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's the main thing with fire to me. My hearts not in it. That's not to say that I wouldn't enjoy it. May even fall in love with it down the road, but it's hasn't caught my eye as much as these other professions.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't know about where you live but around here firefighter jobs are ridiculously hard to get. If you look at their requirements, they aren't that difficult to meet but so many people do it, it's pretty hard to get in. I have a good friend who finally got hired full-time after about 2-3 years of testing (and consistently testing well). I know probably a dozen guys who have gone through all of the schooling and only work part-time or not at all. I don't know any police officers but from what I've heard, it's the same story. That could be different in your area, but just something to think about before you enroll in classes.

If you're interested in the military, maybe you should go and talk to a recruiter just to find out more about your options.

RonJ

Banned
What advice are the most important people (dad and girlfriend) in your life giving you?

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
I don't know anything about military, but I don't find it appealing whatsoever (it's not about me though). Honestly, I would say fire. My dad has been a firefighter/now a paramedic for 22(ish) years now. You have to bust your ass at first, just like police and military, but I feel like the pay-off is better in the end. You get paid pretty well, and you would have a killer schedule. I don't know about over there but the guys around here work a modified Detroit schedule. 48 hours on and 4 days off. So you can definitely go have hobbies and such. Also you have the potential to move up in the fire department (my dad went to UW for 10 months to be a paramedic when he couldn't handle doing all the firefighter labor) and LOVES it. I also feel like being a firefighter would be mentally WAY more rewarding than any of the others you listed. Police is obvious, people are generally not very happy when they come around. And some of the messed up things and danger you will be put in as a police officer or military is way more common I feel compared to fire. Also coming from a girlfriend perspective (this is just me), I will not date someone in the military. That is not an option.

These are just my opinions, I grew up with the fire department too. It's always been full of really great people and I consider a lot of them family, so I may be biased ;) But if your heart isn't in it. Well...
You do realize military has fire fighters as well right... Wait no I guess you didn't. The firefighters here job is not the best by any means. Most have to hold two jobs in order to support themselves. Why would you not date someone in the military who probably has dealt with more s**t and had to overcome way more things than you ever will in your life. That is my opinion.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What advice are the most important people (dad and girlfriend) in your life giving you?
My girlfriend doesn't necessarily like the idea of me being gone a year at a time, but she can see the long term benefits. She would prefer me to join the local PD.

My father said if I go the military route that I might as well stay on for long haul for the early retirement. Though he thinks police or fire would be equally as good.

RonJ

Banned
My girlfriend doesn't necessarily like the idea of me being gone a year at a time, but she can see the long term benefits. She would prefer me to join the local PD.

My father said if I go the military route that I might as well stay on for long haul for the early retirement. Though he thinks police or fire would be equally as good.
This is what I'm hearing. You really don't want to go the fireman route as your heart isn't in it.

That leaves the military versus police.

The police career possibly is on hold due to recent drug use and the fact that you are honest and would reveal it during an interview. Honesty is an honorable trait.

So how would the military react to an admission of drug use if you revealed it, which you likely would?

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
This is what I'm hearing. You really don't want to go the fireman route as your heart isn't in it.

That leaves the military versus police.

The police career possibly is on hold due to recent drug use and the fact that you are honest and would reveal it during an interview. Honesty is an honorable trait.

So how would the military react to an admission of drug use if you revealed it, which you likely would?
Extea paperwork. Doesn't hurt you really. It's easier just to say no and pass the drug test

My Black Betty

If you are going military do not get your hopes up on a particular job unless you have specific training in that field. The jobs are chosen for recruits after selection and testing and recruits are given choices between what is available.

If you do enlist maybe try for MP then even if you do not retire in the military you will have the experience for the police force.

What is a good job is a job that you are satisfied with.

Keep your head up.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Extea paperwork. Doesn't hurt you really. It's easier just to say no and pass the drug test
This. I would avoid the hassle and probably lie. I've heard so many things about having to lie just to go through the motions. Like if you're traumatized from combat you just tell your superiors you're as happy as could be.

I'm leaning towards law enforcement, but I've got a burning passion for military.

rey_boricua

2000 EM1 B16A2T
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
depending on your score on the asvab you can have a choice on a job depending on training seat available. I have been in for 16 yrs and have 4 more until retirement at the age of 37. I also got my bachelors degree all paid for by them, trying to finish my masters and certifications before I retire. I picked a job that I can do if and when I get out of the military. I am currently a AMEDD( Army Medical Department) recruiter here in Houston

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
depending on your score on the asvab you can have a choice on a job depending on training seat available. I have been in for 16 yrs and have 4 more until retirement at the age of 37. I also got my bachelors degree all paid for by them, trying to finish my masters and certifications before I retire. I picked a job that I can do if and when I get out of the military. I am currently a AMEDD( Army Medical Department) recruiter here in Houston
That's awesome! Did you have a girlfriend or spouse throughout your time in the military?

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Yeah that is true I know with the new system they have for us with promotions after getting e6 need 9 hours for some associates degree. I also receive tuition exemption along with go bill (an extra 1100 dollars a month) for going to school

rey_boricua

2000 EM1 B16A2T
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's awesome! Did you have a girlfriend or spouse throughout your time in the military?
my girlfriend became my wife. don't take this the wrong way but if she is for you she will be there if not you can always find another

RonJ

Banned
my girlfriend became my wife. don't take this the wrong way but if she is for you she will be there if not you can always find another
I was listening to NPR the other day and heard that the military is taking a harder stand on tatoos of certain nature and body location. What's the skinny on this?