Thinking about turbo...

XDESIGN305

5+ Year Member
Hey guys, just a couple of questions. I have a D16y8 with 148,xxx miles on it. I want to put a turbo but I also want to do an engine swap. The car is AT. I know I would have to make it MT. What would be better. If i do one i cant do the other. Its either rebuilding and turbo or swap. Do i really have to make it MT? Turbo is new to me and i have been looking around for the best price.

Thanks for your input.

fusion

5+ Year Member
Hey guys, just a couple of questions. I have a D16y8 with 148,xxx miles on it. I want to put a turbo but I also want to do an engine swap. The car is AT. I know I would have to make it MT. What would be better. If i do one i cant do the other. Its either rebuilding and turbo or swap. Do i really have to make it MT? Turbo is new to me and i have been looking around for the best price.

Thanks for your input.
id do a whole f**king lot more research before you decide to do anything.

BEAR_times

Undeniable
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ur stock auto trany wont hold anypower so turboing is out.. i would do a swap get rid of the sohc quick..
and if u want more power do a meth kit not nitrous ..
OP, I would do some homework. I'm still learning a lot and I've been here a while. Anyway, can someone give a quick explanation about meth kits? I've never heard of em'.

slomotion

Banned
i owned a 98 ex and if you turbo that thing you HAVE to swap to M/T. no joke. me, i got rid of my sohc after it had been boosted for a bit. It was manual so the b16a2 whent in sooo smooth. you already got a vtec
harness foo, so go ahead and drop a sick ass GSR swap and do tha tranny conversion. you will be so much happier with the end result. and people will sleep on that EX too. if you can drive, all you need is a set of sick cams for your swap, and you will eat people up all effin day guy.

BEAR_times

Undeniable
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Both methanol and ethanol burn at lower temperatures than gasoline, and both are more volatile,Using methanol as a fuel in spark ignition engines can offer an increased thermal efficiency and increased power output (as compared to gasoline) due to its high octane rating (114[3]) and high heat of vaporisation.The improvement consists of using dual-fuel direct-injection of pure alcohol (or the azeotrope or E85) and gasoline, in any ratio up to 100% of either, in a turbocharged, high compression-ratio, small-displacement engine having performance similar to an engine having twice the displacement. Each fuel is carried separately, with a much smaller tank for alcohol. The high-compression (which increases efficiency) engine will run on ordinary gasoline under low-power cruise conditions. Alcohol is directly injected into the cylinders (and the gasoline injection simultaneously reduced) only when necessary to suppress ‘knock’ such as when significantly accelerating. Direct cylinder injection raises the already high octane rating of ethanol up to an effective 130. The calculated over-all reduction of gasoline use and CO2 emission is 30%. The consumer cost payback time shows a 4:1 improvement over turbo-diesel and a 5:1 improvement over hybrid. In addition, the problems of water absorption into pre-mixed gasoline (causing phase separation), supply issues of multiple mix ratios and cold-weather starting are avoided.

Ethanol's higher octane rating allows an increase of an engine's compression ratio for increased thermal efficiency.[

i hope that helps
:brickshead: Thx for the info.