third gear grinding...why???!!

antie22

i
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
can anyone tell me why my third gear is grinding and sometimes throws it bak to neutral when i shift (3rd gear):cry:

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
Sounds like a weak syncronizer assembly. This can be a lot of wear on the hub and ring. Otherwise it could be a faulty pressure plate, maybe broken fingers.

Do you have problems with engagement/disengagement at all?

blue888

i'm actually having kinda the same problem with second gear. Lately everyonce in a while in second gears I maybe dont fully shift in right but it grinds. These couple of days there has been 4 times where I have the gear in 2 and out of no where it pops out, so I clutch and shift to second again.

antie22

i
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i'm actually having kinda the same problem with second gear. Lately everyonce in a while in second gears I maybe dont fully shift in right but it grinds. These couple of days there has been 4 times where I have the gear in 2 and out of no where it pops out, so I clutch and shift to second again.
YEAH YEAH THATS EXACLY WUT HAPPENS TO ME!! but in 3rd gear.:x

antie22

i
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sounds like a weak syncronizer assembly. This can be a lot of wear on the hub and ring. Otherwise it could be a faulty pressure plate, maybe broken fingers.

Do you have problems with engagement/disengagement at all?
uuum no actually i dont but im thinking my clutch is sliping so maybe that could b the problem but im not exactly sure what do you think?

blue888

uuum no actually i dont but im thinking my clutch is sliping so maybe that could b the problem but im not exactly sure what do you think?
check if your clutch is slipping. Drive normal, then hit the gas if the rpms go up and you don't get any noiticible speed.. its the clutch. In my case it can't(hopefullly not) since the clutch was change less than 2 months ago.

antie22

i
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check if your clutch is slipping. Drive normal, then hit the gas if the rpms go up and you don't get any noiticible speed.. its the clutch. In my case it can't(hopefullly not) since the clutch was change less than 2 months ago.
yeah my clutch is slipping :( time for a new kit!

blue888

yeah my clutch is slipping :( time for a new kit!

ok so your Rpms do go up with you not getting any real speed?

Now I wonder what is going on with my issue. Wonder if its me sometimes not shifting it correctly into gear or something else?

antie22

i
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so your Rpms do go up with you not getting any real speed?

Now I wonder what is going on with my issue. Wonder if its me sometimes not shifting it correctly into gear or something else?
yeah it does but it might b and it might not i just gotta wait till money comes in so that i can buy a good clutch

and well i doubt that its you if you clutch pops back in to neutral like mine....its probably the synchronizer or something like that.

mr.nieto

myb ur mis-shifting...like ur pressing the clutch and wen u push the gear in ur letn go of the clutch early and not catchn the gear right......my 3rd does the same thing but i think its cuz i let go of the clutch early....the rest of ther gear go in good

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sounds like an issue with synchro's to me...

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Sounds like the synchro's are gone. But that's not all the damage could be limited to. Like earlier said it could be the slider or the gear bad also. It could be expensive. The fork could be bent but that doesn't sound like it is the case.

blue888

ok update... so after driving the car today both 2nd , 4th, and reverse are really stiff to get out of. And ocassionally I would grind 2nd gear. I read somewhere that try cleaning the 2 clutch bushings next to the tranny(i think thats what its called) or maybe the shiftlinkage (not sure if thats the same thing. Or gearbox oil needs to be changed. Cant be clutch since it got changed less than 2 months ago