This is my first Manual Car - Am I shifting correctly?

Loren646

5+ Year Member
I don't know when to shift. At what RPM is ideal to shift? What RPM is ideal to be in?

Also when I am in second gear and I am coasting then hit the gas my car jumps. Should I push in the clutch while coasting?

Downshifting - necessary? And when I do it - do I push the gas?

97 civic lx

enycesam

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would say shift at around 2700-3000 RPMs.
What RPMs do you shift at now?

civic96hb

USAF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea I usually shift at 3000
and how fast are you going when you're in 2nd and it jumps?

ryanM

what do you expect your car to do when you press the gas...

i'm sure your driving fine

dont downshift if you dont know what your doing

if you push the clutch in when you are coasting your car will stop...

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
downshift and apply the brakes lightly when stopping. it will save your brakes and make them last longer. i hardly ever brake at all unless i have no choice. if a car in front of me is moving slower ill just downshift if coasting isnt enough. oh and i usualy shift around 3k

TopGear_

┌∩┐ (◣_◢) ┌∩┐
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^^ I don't recommend downshifting instead of using brakes. Your brakes are there for a reason and are cheaper to replace than other things that go bad from constantly doing crazy downshifts. but in your car, i would shift around 2,500-3k.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^^ I don't recommend downshifting instead of using brakes. Your brakes are there for a reason and are cheaper to replace than other things that go bad from constantly doing crazy downshifts. but in your car, i would shift around 2,500-3k.
lol not crazy downshifting. i downshift at a reasonable rpm. right around 2500 or so. if you know what your doing you wont hurt anything and i do use the brakes just not as much as i would if i were driving an automatic.

closethedoor

5+ Year Member
yeah me too i always downshift to slow down and i was wondering if it was benefic for a long term use... clutch vs brakes.
does anyone says the same as topgear?

and yes loren when im coasting i press the clucht, and when you give gas depress it like you re doing a normal shift.
but honeslty i dont think you need to ask... you will figure it out by yourself in a week a two MAX... unless ur a girl lol

ryanM

honda recommends engine braking over pedal braking.

but dont do it if you dont know what you are doing

i usually do a combination of both

Bpw32m

Got boost?
5+ Year Member
Check your owners manual for details or just look up the factory ideal rpms to shift thats what my buddy did and he has them memorized and is able to slip into gears using no clutch if u time it right without forcing it and with no bangs lol. BUT, thats for later knowledge... I suggest you use the clutch all the time before shift and make sure you practice in an empty parking lot or on a empty side street....

ej8arm

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:word: x2

d00dle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wait 'til the needle hit the red line, then shift =) that's how i do it in Need For Speed: underground & Gran Terismo.

d00dle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol not crazy downshifting. i downshift at a reasonable rpm. right around 2500 or so. if you know what your doing you wont hurt anything and i do use the brakes just not as much as i would if i were driving an automatic.
i usually take my foot off the gas, give it a little brake, slow down, then downshift and ride the clutch (just 2be cool). thats what i like 'bout driving with manual. u have so much control than automatic. really save a lot of money u spend on brakes.

knivesout

¬ µ ∫ ç π
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I thought topgear was right?

Tranny repairs > brake repairs, as far as money goes anyway. I figured wearing down your brake pads, etc, would be better than wearing down your clutch...

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My car has almost 200,000 miles and guess how much of that has gone through engine breaking? I'd say more than 90%. And guess how many times I've gotten a new clutch / flywheel for the transmission? Never. 2nd gear has been replaced once and that's the only maintenance the transmission has gotten. Fluid? Ha, never changed, but will be this summer.

Engine braking is safe if you do it properly and aren't going crazy with it. I engine brake every time I drive the car.

I thought topgear was right?

Tranny repairs > brake repairs, as far as money goes anyway. I figured wearing down your brake pads, etc, would be better than wearing down your clutch...
You got that backwards..