Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Still will never own $300 wheels...

But interesting nonetheless

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah, and I don't think there is anything wrong with buying the more expensive rims like Advans, Volks, Works, CCWs, etc. but damn there is so much flaming from the fan boys about the less expensive wheels like Rotas.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Basically because they dont have one original design. Not one...

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^ looks like you didnt read your signature either...

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
a good read, but honestly, if i end up smashing a curb, i'd rather the wheels shatter and take the brunt of the impact rather than my suspension and control arms

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I agree with the almost the entire article. It was very interesting and a lot of the points I agree with. Rota wheels are great durable wheels. If they break on a curb due to an accident, im sure a Volk wheel wouldve done the same, or at least bend to a point where it cant be repaired.

The part I strongly disagreed with is this

Rotafanboy said:
People say that ROTA Wheels are “Replica Wheels”. I beg to disagree. Check any dictionary and you’ll see that “Replica” is defined as an exact or accurate reproduction of an object. Like replicas of Louis Vuitton bags and other fashion items. People who buy these items most likely want to pose as owners of the originals. But like I said, ROTA Wheels are not replica wheels. Their products do not say “Volk Racing” or anything like that. They are built as ROTA Wheels, and are sold as ROTA Wheels. If people put stickers of other brands on it, it is beyond the control of the factory. But since they are not replicas, this is the reason why a lot of people can actually tell the difference.

There are only so many ways by which you can come up with spoked designs, and make it work. If one manufacturer takes inspiration from a design made by another, and creates their own rendition of it, is it still a replica?

Though I will not agree that ROTA Wheels are replicas, what I will agree to are that ROTA Wheels have been “inspired” by other designs. Just as the wheels I’ve shown you on the photos above have been inspired by those done by others. Though they were inspired by other brands, ROTA Wheels have their own angles, as well as their own fitment, which is why people can tell them apart from the designs they were inspired from. Now does that still make it a replica? Or is it now an original?
Rota wheels arent "inspired" by the real wheels, they are replicas, and their price reflects it. There is nothing wrong with being a knock off, and Rota is obviously doing it right. Just because Rota mis aligns the lugs with the valve stem doesnt make it an original wheel. And im surprised this guy used such poor arguments saying that they have their own offsets so they arent replicas anymore.

Get the fuqq out of here.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I own Rotas and no problems yet as I've told many haters. Fact of the matter is that I wanted Grids or Mugen NR's, I'm not willing to spend as much as I spent on my car for rims so it was down to Grids or buddy club P1's and I could get Grids that day. I won't deny many if not all Rotas are replicas but f**k now a days it's hard not to make a rim that doesnt looks similar to one thats already been made. The fact of the matter is they're tried and true despite all the bad publicity on them, not that it would stop people from buying em anyway.

Though if I had an STi, S2K or NSX I'd be more than willing to put some volks on it haha.