Throttle response

nightryder99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I hear people saying that getting a bigger TB causes less throttle response, which makes sense.
But, by adjusting the cam gear...wouldn't that fix the prob or do you need a bigger lift camshaft in order to not loose throttle response???? :lol:

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
huh?

Getting a bigger TB will improve throttle response. More air is going into the engine quicker. The camshaft has nothing to do with throttle response. The camshaft factors into the engine's overall capability to pump air.

The engine operates at its capacity. Everything attached to it (intake manifold, throttle body, intake pipe, filter, exhaust manifold, catalytic converter, muffler) restricts (or improves via forced induction) the engine's capability to perform to its capacity. This is why people typically don't say that bolt-ons make an engine make more power. It only frees up the engine's trapped power. Now you change an actual factor in the equation, you go oversized valves, forced induction, add more fuel, then the engine will literally make more power.

nightryder99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
henkz0r said:
huh?

Getting a bigger TB will improve throttle response. More air is going into the engine quicker. The camshaft has nothing to do with throttle response. The camshaft factors into the engine's overall capability to pump air.

The engine operates at its capacity. Everything attached to it (intake manifold, throttle body, intake pipe, filter, exhaust manifold, catalytic converter, muffler) restricts (or improves via forced induction) the engine's capability to perform to its capacity. This is why people typically don't say that bolt-ons make an engine make more power. It only frees up the engine's trapped power. Now you change an actual factor in the equation, you go oversized valves, forced induction, add more fuel, then the engine will literally make more power.
ok I see your point but.. with a bigger tb and bigger plenum ..won't the air loose velocity cause less throttle response. What I mean by that is ...it could rev harder ( meaning more torque) but will the actually revving up take a loss?

Ex. Before I had my manifold I had my tru cam at 2 deg. retarded...it was reving up like a mofo
When I added my Edelbrock manifold I lost throttle response ( most possibly because the tb is stock and there is less restriction as soon as it enters the im
thats why I asked if the Tb will help regain lost throttle response