Throw out bearing

Puff0028

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok I have a friend with a 05 4dr civic D17 5spd. He has a noise in the trans mission which im saying is his throw out bearing but want a second opinion.

When the car is idling in neatrual (N) and clutch is up you hear a faint grinding noise and when you push the clutch down the noise is there still but sounds likes it grinds more.

The car has 130xxx km on it and he has owned it since 40xxxkm and has never changed his clutch and doesn't do anything else but simply drive it so anyone else think its the throw out bearing?

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah that sounds Like the symptoms of a throw our bearing. Just tell him to get a new clutch since he's about due for one shouldn't be too expensive. Hell it's under $150 to get an exedy orm replacement out of the CC store

Puff0028

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok thats what i thought, i've changed a few before just been awhile. Thanks :thumbup:

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
pilot bearing

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
One of my friends have the same issues, it has a output shaft bearing shot, idk if thats your issue or not .....

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Don't know which bearing you mean by "output shaft", but there is basically two bearings that could be the culprit. The throw out bearing and the pilot bearing. The throw out bearing is what is attached to the shift fork, and the pilot bearing is on the flywheel. Your problem sounds like the throw out bearing, but its a good idea to replace both while you have the tranny out.

Puff0028

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ya I'm trying to.convince him to let me change it and save himself hundreds of dollars.

A typical clutch kit usually has all the parts pilot, throw out bearing, pressure plate and friction disc doesn't it? He is just looking to do oem replacement.

Oh and is the need to resurface the flywheel a must or an option? I don't remember haha

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You may see some hard spots on the flywheel, if you do then it's a good sea to resurface it but even if you don't see hard spots I'd recommend it. A clutch for his car shouldn't run more than $100. I got a Exedy OEM replacement on EBay for $85 I believe.

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
D16 and D17 use the same clutches as far as I know.

Puff0028

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ya I don't trust any shops now around here anyway haha, had my transmission rebuilt they put it back together and after that while driving down the road the car started to feel like the axle was breakin or locking/binding up so I took it back they jacked up the car shook the axle and said theres nothing wrong with it.

On my way home it happened again so I Jacked up the car took the axle off and took the axle apart.....never guess what I found.....a piece of metal that was put in there. So I have never let anyone touch my car with out me around mechanically

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would recommend getting it resurfaced while its out, it will be easier.

and saying that the sound is constant and doesnt go away makes me think its not the throw out bearing because that doesnt spin at idle. the pilot does though. throwout is only used when the clutch is pressed in to press on the pressure plate fingers to release the clutch.

a bearing in the trans could be an issue, but unlikely. pilot and throwout are a lot more common

RonJ

Banned
Transmission input shaft and other transmission main bearings commonly go bad, so the OP may have a bad throw out bearing and a bad transmission main bearing.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No don't maybe resurface flywheel and don't, shouldn't even be recommended, it's a necessity. Don't cheap out on something that important, I had to fix another dudes mistake on it not too long ago, 5000 miles and he ruined another throw out bearing and one of the teeth on the pressure plate

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Transmission input shaft and other transmission main bearings commonly go bad, so the OP may have a bad throw out bearing and a bad transmission main bearing.
Got a diagram of the main bearing you are talking about Ron? Guess I never seen one.

Puff0028

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Got a diagram of the main bearing you are talking about Ron? Guess I never seen one.
Yes I'd like to see this also.

On a side note I'm just wondering how easy/difficult it is to take apart a transmission and replace bearings, syncro's, I got 2-3 D's kicking around. I'm pretty confident in my abilities just curious never been around transmission stuff other than clutches

RonJ

Banned
There are 5 main bearings inside transmission, one at each end of the mainshaft and countershaft assemblies and one in the differential assembly.

#22 = the notorious input shaft bearing, which is the most common main bearing to go bad. At the other end of the main shaft assembly is the large angular bearing (not numbered in this diagram).

#2 = the needle bearing of the countershaft assembly. The fourth main bearing is the small one at the other end of the countershaft assembly (not numbered in this diagram).

#1 in differential diagram is the fifth main bearing.