throw out bearing

98 SIR II

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does anyone know about how much it cost to replace a throw out bearing. I need to know because i think mine is about to go out. :cry:

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
throw out bearing is about $70.00 plus 4hours of labor, it should around 350.00-400.00, but that's if you go to a dealer.

98 SIR II

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah i thought that it would be about that much im going to see how much my mechanic will do it for . he usually hooks me up. But i just want to get an idea of how much money im wasting

surfer4life722

you can touch it...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you replace your throw out bearing, go ahead and replace the clutch, because its RIGHT THERE, its pointless to replace the bearign w/o doign the clutch also, a clutch and everything is usually a half days work, if you know what your doing. If your throw out bearing goes out, how important is it? I know when its about to go out, you can hear it spinning when its depressed. Your car is a 98 too..I really dont know your throwout bearing is bad, usually those last for a long time if i'm correct

98 SIR II

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i don't want to replace the clutch because the clutch is only about 7months old. but i don't know why the throwout bearing is going out already. i just don't want it to go out on me while im driving

surfer4life722

you can touch it...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so did you install a new throwout bearing also w/ the clutch 7 months ago? Did you do it? Did a mechanic do it? If a mechanic did it...they can fix it, compliments of their stupidy

98 SIR II

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
see the thing is is that i had to replace the tranny because i blew it. so seven months ago i had the mechanic replace the tranny with a gsr tranny and the clutch. so he hooked me up and threw in a act stage 2 clutch. but i don't think he replaced the throwout bearing. he might of used the same one. he told me that it is either the throwout bearing or the mainshaft bearing. something like that. but i am going to find out from today on how much it cost so ill let you guys know what he says

rollinj86

Hit the vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get a new clutch its not worth going through the hassel again

99civic-boosted

Luke 10:27
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It is foolish to replace a clutch and not do the job correctly. The throwout bearing, pressure plate, clutch and if it has one a pilot bearing should be replaced. Although not all standard tranny's use a pilot bearing/bushing. Non the less - if your mechanic installed a new clutch without a new T/O bearing you may want to start looking for a new mechanic. One that knows what should be done.

The flywheel should have been turn as well to do the job the correct way.

surfer4life722

you can touch it...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the pilot bearing is the bearing in the center of the flywhell right...or something like that

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
yeah that's right, i dont believe act comes with a throw out bearing.

98 SIR II

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cool. good info. yeah he said the other day that he needs to check it out. I told him the sound that the car was making and that is what he told me. it just makes me mad because i just replaced the tranny and clutch and im already having to fix something else on it. ill tell you the sound if you guys think it is something else let me know. the sound it makes is a squeaking sound if it is idle or even if im driving but as soon as i push in the clutch it stops then when i release it does it again. so i don't know

surfer4life722

you can touch it...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you just hear a squeeling noise when the clutch is depressed only, if soo...thats the throw out bearing. If it just squeaks when you push it in and a lil when its let out, thats no big deal, my car does that alot, it doesn't affect anything, Just a flaw somewhere

98 SIR II

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well its kinda hard to describe. when im not pushing in the clutch it squeaks. when i push it in it stops. then every once in awhile when i am letting the clutch out slowly to take off it will make a really loud screaching sound. I was told by someone that the screaching sound is the clutch plates rubbing together. The heck if i know. im just tired of fixing my freakin tranny.

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea, mine does too...even after an aftermarket clutch install with new bearings...i dont really mind though...

surfer4life722

you can touch it...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
holy god that sounds horrible, you need a new mechanic pronto, I wonder if he even used a clutch alignment tool. Maybe he didn't and the plates are a lil off, that could cause a lot of problems.

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, its ok...Im almost through with this engine anyway.

98 SIR II

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no i dont need to find a new mechanic. my mechanic is really good at what he does. i talked to him today and he is only going to charge me $250 to put a new one in. i asked him why the old might have gone bad and he said that when he replaced it he put a new one in but it could have a defect or something. which i don't doubt because i have the worst of luck so that would happen to me. but anyways we'll see when i get the new one.

99civic-boosted

Luke 10:27
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
98 SIR II said:
well its kinda hard to describe. when im not pushing in the clutch it squeaks. when i push it in it stops. then every once in awhile when i am letting the clutch out slowly to take off it will make a really loud screaching sound. I was told by someone that the screaching sound is the clutch plates rubbing together. The heck if i know. im just tired of fixing my freakin tranny.
It is hard to say what your noise is, however, some thing’s to try. When the noise starts place your foot on the clutch pedal. Apply just enough pressure to allow the throw out bearing to touch the pressure plate. If the noise goes away – Throw out bearing is at fault. The problem with this is - if the noise does not go away it doesn't rule out the T/O bearing. With the car sitting still and clutch pressed in, does it make a high pitched noise? If so the odds are good for a pilot bearing, however I 'm not sure your car requires one. At any rate it has to come apart and I have seen many T/O bearing go out in just a few weeks after install.