Throwing a few CEL's

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey CC,

I drive a '00 EM1, B16A2 all OEM internals. Just finished the whole fiasco with lowering my car (broken strut bolt, seized LCA bolts, etc) excited to get my car back on the road and hopefully do some autox.

Unfortunately as I was driving it to school yesterday the CEL comes on when I was stopped at a light, and begins to flash on and off. So I park and get the car towed home. I check the CEL codes and get

P0303: Cylinder 3 misfire
P1399: Random intermittent misfire

So I replace the distributor cap and rotor last night cause it was probably the one from the factory and really old. And I had already replaced the spark plugs and wires with NGK Iridium IX's and NGK wires a couple months back. So after driving it around a little bit this morning and letting it warm up I think that it's doing better. I pull back into my driveway and as I'm idling again the CEL comes on and starts flashing again...but this time the codes are:

P0300: Random multiple cylinder misfires
P0301: Cylinder 1 misfire
P0303: Cylinder 3 misfire
P1399: Random intermittent misfire

So I'm not sure what to do now. If you've seen my thread for my car you'll know that I through a lot of oil in my car...either burning or leaking out when the oil pressure is up. My buddy believes that it could be blow by from having crappy piston rings. It should be going to a mechanic sometime soon to get a leak down and compression test done.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
here is what can be causing the misfires
* Faulty spark plugs or wires
* Faulty coil (pack)
* Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
* Faulty fuel injector(s)
* Burned exhaust valve
* Faulty catalytic converter(s)
* Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
* Faulty camshaft position sensor
* Defective computer

did you reset your ecu after changing the cap/rotor to try and clear the code?

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My dad has an OBD2 Diagnostic tool that I used to check the codes and I used it to reset the codes and the CEL was off when I test drove it this morning. Then it came back on when I pulled back into the driveway.

Zedicous

Take it to a professional before you damage something.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Take it to a professional before you damage something.
There's no reason he can't troubleshoot by himself. If the solution turns out to be something out of his mechanical ability then I could understand taking it to a mechanic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emerican

Registered VIP
^ this ive never paid anyone to work on my car.
If you have a scanner then you already have done have of what they will do.
So trouble shoot it and find out what it is you can do compression/leakdown tests yourselfs if you dont have the tools they can be rented for cheaper than a shop will charge you.
after you trouble shoot it and if you find out its something that you cant fix then take it to a mechanic i dont see the point in doing it now.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
here is what can be causing the misfires
* Faulty spark plugs or wires
* Faulty coil (pack)
* Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
* Faulty fuel injector(s)
* Burned exhaust valve
* Faulty catalytic converter(s)
* Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
* Faulty camshaft position sensor
* Defective computer

-He has new plugs and wires.
-On a honda, if the problem was bad enough to be the cat or o2 it would likely show up as a cat or o2 code. But its still a possibility.
-There is no EGR valve or cam sensor on this engine, but there is a crank sensor.

So the problem got worse after changing the cap and rotor? Did you remove anything else besides the cap and rotor?

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
-He has new plugs and wires.
-On a honda, if the problem was bad enough to be the cat or o2 it would likely show up as a cat or o2 code. But its still a possibility.
-There is no EGR valve or cam sensor on this engine, but there is a crank sensor.

So the problem got worse after changing the cap and rotor? Did you remove anything else besides the cap and rotor?
Well we took off the entire distributor, but we put it back on the correct way. Or so I thought lol. I'm gonna check the spark plugs sometime soon to see if they are fouled from how much my car burns oil.