Ticket for Burned out Headlight

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
last night i got a ticket for a headlamp being out and the cop sighted me for not having my headlights on. i had my fog lights on and my parking lights, with my passenger headlamp still on. the only light out was my driver lamp. i was a little lost on why i got the ticket if i had all my other lights on, even mypass. headlamp. i got two points and a $70 ticket for this crap. any of you guys know a way around this? i thought about taking it to court cause i dont want 2 points on my record for a cop being a jerk about a lamp.

Scorchsta

huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well he didn't do anything wrong because a headlight out is a ticket. But the cop sounds like a d**k cause most cops won't give you a ticket for that. They'd just tell you to get it fixed. I don't know how it is in Colorado but that might be a fix-it ticket. If it's not just take it to court and say you got it fixed.

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats weird ... in ca its a $10 fix it ticket and is not a moving violation unless you dont have em on or are running your high beams .... that doesnt make sense that he would cite you for them not being on

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah, he was a jerk. he was also going to sight me for not having my registration signed. is there a chance i can have this ticket dropped if i take it to court and explain the situation and explain that i had it fixed that night?

Scorchsta

huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes. There's really nothing to lose by taking it to court. It's not like they're going to fine you more. At least they'll probably drop the points.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
thats a lil harsh for having a headlight out..i mean...there's time you just can't tell or it "just happens" so....I think thats a lil harsh.

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i was thinking thats what i would do right after i got the ticket, but isnt there another fine for taking it to court? such as not getting it dropped, or not fully dropped. court fines and such?

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
he issued you the wrong ticket, take it to court, that should have been a "fix it ticket" <-- works for a local department.

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you guys would happen to have any law descriptions, or any type of information i can site when i go to court do you? i looked at the ticket again, and all he wrote was, lights 10-22-203 and when lights are required. with a $60 fine and 2 points. he wrote in all this information by hand on the ticket. the ticket doesnt have any description like this on it. the ticket has nothing about headlights or any kind of lights listed on it except for what he wrote by hand. he also wrote another amount for $70 instead of $60. ....this ticket looks sketchy

Scorchsta

huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea that's not the right he ticket. It sounds like he thought both your lights were out (i.e. off) when in fact you just had 1 light out. Go to court.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm so glad I wired my fog lights to my parking lights. At night, I generally only turn on my parking lights and fog lights until it gets pretty dark (my fog lights are bright). If a cop were to pull me over and tell me "your headlamps are out, here's your ticket" I'll just be like, "uh no thanks. Go stand in front of my car" and turn them on and say f**k you and drive off.

:lol: just kidding. But cop sounds like a d**k. Most of the time you wouldn't get a ticket for that. They'd just tell you to fix it. My dad used to drive with the high beams on his old 4th gen civic (1 low beam was out, but the high beam filament was still intact) and they were still pretty dim. But a cop pulled him over and claimed the lights blinded him. My dad explained the low beam being out and the cop just told him to fix it.

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah, i drive with my fogs on all the time and they are bright. almost like regular lights. so i have no idea what he was thinking when he gave me the ticket. i think i will go to court. this is dumb. i also took pictures of my car last night, with proof only my right beam was out. but my fogs give off enough light, he would of seen them on anyways. what a d**k.

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do you guys happen to know a way around the system if the ticket isnt dropped, but to have the points dropped. the fine is not a big deal, but i dont want points on my record.

StealthSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
take it to court a head light is something that can burn out at anytime it could have burned out 5 min before you were pulled over you dont know. IMO fight it

take it from me in a former cop... =)

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A.)

The cop is a d**k, it should of been a fix it ticket, or a verbal warning.

B.)

Fog lights are NOT headlights, after sundown in colorado you are required to have headlights on. I drive with my running lights/fog lights on from dusk, until the sun drops behind the mountains. once the sun is completely behind the mountains, i turn my headlights on.

C.)

Take it to court, you wont need any written law to back you up. All you simply have to do is ask the judge, why is having a burnt out headlight a moving violation? If he/she gives you a reason that needs an explanation as to what exactly happened. Then provide that explanation.

D.)

Was it CSP or was it a county/city cop?

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
fight for your rights!

Goodmayn

5+ Year Member
do you guys happen to know a way around the system if the ticket isnt dropped, but to have the points dropped. the fine is not a big deal, but i dont want points on my record.

If they don't drop it you should have the option to take a driving class to drop the points. Here in LA you only get two classes to take, one's a 2 year class (meaning I can only take it once every 2 years) and another is a 5 year class ( meaning if I've used my 2yr class I can use this one). I've gotten numerous tickets dropped just from going to court and pleading a case. 9 times out of 10 is was the DA just sitting there asking me what happened and what I did to correct it.

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it was csp, normal in town cop. i was on academy st. city limits in colorado springs if any of you are form here. i had my fog lights on, parking lights and my pass head light. the only light out was my driver lamp....i will be going to court, i just wanted to make sure i have all the facts straight and whatnot before i had to go.

el_betiyo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Take it to court. It should have been just a fixed ticket, well at least here in CA. However, here in CA, if you have the parking lights (corner lights) on, without any headlights, it's a ticket. This cop gave me a $90 ticket like 6 months ago for driving like this before sundown. The cop said "that's why they are called parking lights, you only turn'em on when somebody is inside and the car is parked", I was like "really, oh well................."

but if you just had one off, it should be a fixed ticket

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i woulda searched your car and arrested your ass for having crack in your back trunk ;D