tight shifter

bpscivic98

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey guys. So I got my new transmission in about three weeks ago and everything has been running great. Then today it started raining and its the first time I've driven the car in the rain since I got it back. I noticed on the way home from work that my shifter will get really tight and I have to force it around. Also I noticed that it is moving from side to side. I did install a short shifter and new poly brushings that came with the transmission. What can be the problem? I'm stumped. It's a 98 lx 5 speed btw

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What do you mean by it moving side to side? Every car I've driven has had some play with the shifter in gear and out so that might be something normal.

bpscivic98

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sorry let me be more clear. It has normal play but when everything gets tight feeling there is no play at all and the shifter moves side to side by itself.

95coupeEX

Also check the linkage and make sure its not getting in a bind some how, maybe jack it up and get a friend to shift through all the gears while you are under it watching everything, that may help you pin point the problem.

bpscivic98

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So another rainy day in north Georgia and the problem is back. My shifter continues to get really tight. It only does it when it rains hard, so my guess is that water is getting into somewhere. But where? The transmission is shifting fine and smooth. The shifter is just tight.

My only theory is water might be getting between the transmission and the block and my clutch is getting wet. Is there another explanation?

teglovinvtec

5+ Year Member
being that ur talking about the rainy days it may be possible that the bushings are swelling from the humidity seems kinda strange but it could happen. tell me this does the car only shift hard when its on meaning running whats it like when you shift the gears when its off???

bpscivic98

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
being that ur talking about the rainy days it may be possible that the bushings are swelling from the humidity seems kinda strange but it could happen. tell me this does the car only shift hard when its on meaning running whats it like when you shift the gears when its off???
it seems to shift fine when the car is off, it only does it while i'm driving and it comes and goes every minute or so