time to change mounts?

ashtrey634

5+ Year Member
hey cc, my cuzin has a auto 99 ej8 with almost 80k miles, he complains alot about his car not getting any power when taking off even tho he floors it, its getting progressively worse and worse since he bought it a couple months back. when u put the car from park to drive or reverse to drive u can feel the engine stutter like its going in gear but it stutters again right after. if u look at the engine while he changes gears and presses on the gas the motor has a good amount of play in it. would worn or broken mounts cause a stutter from changing it to drive and a hesitation while changing from 1st to 2nd and feel like you have no torque when accelerating hard from a stand still? or is a tranny problem?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i dont know if it would cause a hesitation like that, i have a manual not an auto. but if there is significant pitch in the motor from torque then the mounts need to be replaced. maybe even look into getting a torque damper too

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
filling my mounts wtih poly helped ALOT. This was because my engine was rocking back and forth so much causing my exhaust system to warp and expose leaks.

Say you floor it, the engine jolts forward, opening up a nice leak by the cat, which will cause a HUGE hesitation, untill you lift off the throttle, and then it picks up.

ashtrey634

5+ Year Member
yea, his motor shakes pretty bad. im using it for the next couple days to see what hes talking about and just by driving it home today im in 2nd gear going 40 and all of a sudden i feel movement from the engine. when i take off i feel the engine shift to the front then rock back kinda hard while it goes into 2nd and i can feel it less and less as the car goes to 3rd and 4th. his car has like no torque until its in 3rd gear or so. isnt the rear mount the most important when it comes to engine movement and torque?

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
they all are, but the passenger side torque mount, and the rear are hte most

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
that has something to do with a faulty part of the throttle body/ intake manifold, and from all the stuttering the mounts will wear, perhaps he needs a good tune up and a new throttle body/iacv/IAT one or maybe all

ashtrey634

5+ Year Member
im gonna put a new rear mount on today to see if t helps any. he already has gotten a full tune up a month after he bought the car. not sure about the throttle body. it looks to be alright. no wierd idle problems or anything like that. what problems can u look for to see if its the throttle body?

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ummm where did the throttle body come into play? wrong thread?

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
im gonna put a new rear mount on today to see if t helps any. he already has gotten a full tune up a month after he bought the car. not sure about the throttle body. it looks to be alright. no wierd idle problems or anything like that. what problems can u look for to see if its the throttle body?
the car will spudder at lower rpms and jerk the motor, could f**k up a motor mount or 2, and then it will seem like the motor mounts are the problem when they are not, i just went through this whole ordeal, a f**ken pain in the ass

ashtrey634

5+ Year Member
its the tranny!! the tranny is almost gone. driving it today merging on the highway. i press the gas hard and my cuzins car is going 5 mph while the rpms are at like 4k then all of a sudden the power kicks in out of nowhere. meanwhile it wont shift in 3rd gear and i cant go more than 45mph. when stopping the car jerks and stutters like crazy everytime it shifts into a lower gear. a couple times it smells like somthing is burning and smoke is coming thru the vents when the ac is on.

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well you probably have a leak somewhere, or you overfilled the fluid. Id still suggest mounts because if they're gone, it could have shattered the tranny from exess movement

ashtrey634

5+ Year Member
couldnt find a leak from the tranny, and i dont know if it was overfilled or not since its not my car. and yea i kno not to shift in an auto. when i say shifting i mean when it does it by itself. any1 think it could be a sensor or something?