Timing belt change? (d16y8)

cpain

5+ Year Member
So I'm thinking about replacing my timing belt, water pump and tensioners by myself instead of paying someone $550 to do it. I was wondering if you would say just pay the money and get it done right or do it yourself. If you have any resources like step by step guides and such that would be nice. I haven't had much luck finding a tutorial for it.

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
View attachment timing remov.pdf ---Removal

View attachment timing install.pdf ---installation

View attachment timing adjust.pdf ---Adjustment

those are from honda. thats the way they say to do it. just dont forget the dipstick tube bolt. put that on before the cover or be riding around without one like me. good luck and take your time.

remeber to rotate the crank a few times to make sure its in time. jack up the motor a tad before taking off the mount and make sure to not draw the motor up with the mount or you can get a vibration.

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
set it all at perfoect time before removing the belt. mark it with whiteout or a sharpie too to make sure it will be perfect as the marks can be hard to see. and than you can also line it up to two marks as supposed to one

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
cpain has the crank pully bolt been of before? there such a pain.

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey zb12691 where did u get them attachments from?
i just got a haynes manual with my motor which is pretty good.

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you can't get the bolt loose on the bottom pulley, don't bother.
It's the most difficult part, takes a special tool to hold it and a
strong arm with a pipe about 4 ft long to break it loose.
I'm not kidding.
Try to loosen it first before doing anything else.
Otherwise you'll be putting it all back together.:cool:

MidnightCivicEX

EK Ferio WIP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
there is also a link in the stickies for an entire official 6th gen civic service manual from Honda.................

cpain

5+ Year Member
there is also a link in the stickies for an entire official 6th gen civic service manual from Honda.................
f**k my life...... google failed me and I overlooked that sticky.... false alarm people, thanks midnight.

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats from honda. im a tech for honda so i have access to alll of it. just impact that b***h

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
don't forget to pretighten the belt before u let go of the tensioner.

cpain

5+ Year Member
hey zb, what will I need to know for replacing the tensioner (because I'm getting the kit)? with the springs and all that.