Timing Belt Replacement

J-Sap

5+ Year Member
Alright so the Civic I have is at 85k miles and has never had the timing belt replaced in its 12 year lifespan so this spring or early summer I am going to change it. I have been reading on the forums that the OEM parts from Honda are the best way to go (if I am wrong and there are better items please let me know). I also am going to change the water pump and from what I have read the valve cover gasket is worth replacing at the same time (please tell me if I am wrong on this). Also is there anything else that I should replace when I do this job? I would much rather replace easy things that wear down in one fell swoop then have to take it all apart again for a small little item.

Here is my parts list so far:

Crank Tool from Amazon

Timing Belt from Majestic Honda

Water Pump and O-Ring from Majestic Honda

for the valve cover gasket I could not find it as a Honda part, but was able to find it at autozone. Valve Cover at Autozone

Let me know if there is anything else I need or should get / do to the car.

And I have the haynes repair manual for the car.

RonJ

Banned
You also may want to replace the belt tensioner and the drive belts.

For more info, click here.

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Before you start-make sure you can loosen the bolt on the crank pulley.
That's the hardest part if you don't have the right tools.

mnstrkttr

5+ Year Member
timing belt

I was thinking about changing mine also for the first time. I have looked at the service manual & thought about changing the timing belt tensioner but it says to not remove the adjustment bolt. Is there something to this or should it be replaced?

RonJ

Banned
I was thinking about changing mine also for the first time. I have looked at the service manual & thought about changing the timing belt tensioner but it says to not remove the adjustment bolt. Is there something to this or should it be replaced?
You can remove and replace the tensioner.

igotsole2008

5+ Year Member
I would look into ordering from IRP .. import replacement parts. they sell some of the same parts honda sells as their OEM parts for a lot cheap. I just ordered all this stuff to do a full tune up only spent 150 for all the parts. Correct me if im wrong fellas.

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ohh and sorry for thread jacking:cool:
but any1 know any good companys for timing belts? i know the first one is gunna be jdm/oem...but i mean aftermarket, and i tried hunting for a greddy and cudnt find one for d16y8..:evil:

J-Sap

5+ Year Member
Alright I know that I have left this thread for a while but I wanted to post that yesterday I changed my timing belt, water pump, tensioner, many gaskets, and two of the three belts (the compressor belt will have to wait for another day).

It feels good to have that finally taken care of but wow was that a huge pain. The car had 90,485 miles on it and I am not looking forward to doing that again for another 90K.

I want to thank everybody who responded to my questions and to all the great how-to's for this job, it made a difficult job a lot easier.

willowcairns

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you want to change your tensioner when you do your belt, i didn't and it whines loud when i accelerate, so i am going to go back and change that