timing belt tensioner broke when I started car?

v4banger

So I did my daily 40 miles or so 1 way on my way to work. Jamming pretty good. Go to work back up into parking lot and work my 10hr shift. I get off work stoked cause I'ma jam in my civic back home. I open ignition crank over and I hear a pop. Thought it was something electrical at first cause of how it popped and I checked everything. No spark.. so I checked cables plugs etc. All good condition no spark. After an hour checking everything and checking fuses I open timing belt cover. And wallaaa .. belts loose. I'm assuming it's the tensioner? I sat around for 3 hours waiting for friends to show up with trailer. Not too happy.

Bottom line. I've seen everyone talking about bent valves when driving car usually at 55mph+ so a running car and belt goes bad. I'm like 99% sure it's the tensioner. . I cranked motor serval times looking for a problem. And nothing. I know I'm all over the place. But I don't understand how it f^cked up when I tried to start and notnrunnijg.. what are the chances of valves being bent... I hear all kinds of stories that they were going 75 and belt broke and just replaced belt and all good. No one gives any solid answers .. think I bent valves but just cranking motor ???

OneFastGSR

Registered VIP
Noone can answer that question, There's always a chance it bent valves, You won't know until you either do a leak down test, pull the head, or put a new tensioner on it and try to crank her up. I broke a belt going 70 on the freeway and it bent every valve

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is everything still at TDC?

LandingMan

If you don't have a leak down tester. Do what gsr said slap the timing set back together and do a compression test if there are bent valves it won't hold compression. The leak down test will tell you exactly which valves are compremised. More than likely your screwed. But it only costs about 390 for a whole valve job and a head set. And a week end to slap her together

v4banger

So here's an update. I pulled everything apart motor mount broke off the engine side where you bolt it on. Fell down and caught timing belt and snapped it. I put another belt on. Started right up. I think my timing is off a tooth. Car runs fine just not pushing the power it use to.. either timing is off or I have a bent valve? I drop into second for power and just not feeling the same. And sometimes idle goes too low .. anybideas? I haven't checked valves yet I have the tools to do it I'ma make sure my timing is on right first

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You've driving it around with it not centered? That's going to cause you more problems, Make sure things are Top Dead Center before you even start the car.

v4banger

So I checked timing again off 2 teeth .. put it back and belt was loose. Vtec popping really good. Thanks for the feed back drove about 10 miles with timing off check compression engines 100% no floated valves.