Timing belt/Water pump change??

CiviChik97

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey guys. im at 90300mi and really want to do the timing belt and water pump replacement. problem is, im absolutely BROKE and am trying to do it the cheapest way.

have any of you guys done it? and what did it run you?

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you have little mechanicals skills, or had no experience dong a timing belt. i dont recommend doing it yourself. if something goes wrong, it can completely destroy your engine. the timing belt is required at 105k. so you got about 10k to miles, so start saving up.

Bobo_686

Shiny things amuse me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ exactly what he said, if you donno what ur doin, please dont try it..its extremely hard, even with the manuals if you dont know what ur doin

CiviChik97

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bobo_686 said:
^^ exactly what he said, if you donno what ur doin, please dont try it..its extremely hard, even with the manuals if you dont know what ur doin
:shock:
I'M not going to do it. lol. im going to have my boyfriend do it.

and ive heard 3 different things now...90k, 100k, and 105k... :2confused

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if your boyfriend never done it, dont let him do it. if that one belt mess up in any way, it will ruin basically your whole egine. honda recommends to change it at 60k-90k, but required at 105k. i need to change mines too and lately i been asking around different shops for prices, thats how i found out it was 105k. i thought it was 90k. im at about 90k miles right now. i been lagging on getting mines done because i keep spending my money on other stuff. i know people that can do it, but i rather have a shop do it, because if something goes wrong, it will be over $1k in damages/replacements.

ssmith97dx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, I keep reading how it is to hard to do if yuo have never done it. Admittedly, I have never done this myself but with mine being at 95000 it has to be done. I have been working on cars since I was 17 (now 28 ) and feel pretty comfortable doing this. I will use several DIY write-ups and my manual, any hints or tricks to it?

MY QUESTIONS IS: Will I need to purchase the Timing Belt (TB) from the dealer or is an aftermarket/part-store TB ok?

Thanks all.

Liz

c=}:::::::>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I did not want to rist screwing something up on my car. Thats the kinda luck I have. So I paid someone put me out about 200 bucks. But they gave me some warrenty with my belt I dont remeber what it is now, filed away. But I was happy with it. I ended up changing mine at about 103,000. They told me to do it at 95,000 but I did not have the cash.

Mine thing is dont push it to far and get good work done. If your timing belt goes its going to cost you a whole lot more...

silverb18c1

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
use the oem belts from honda.... and the oem water pump... they are your best bet...

ssmith97dx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oem it is then, thanks for the reply........ I will probably try and do it myself because I want to inspect the internals a little but.

MPorter

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
CiviChik97 said:
hey guys. im at 90300mi and really want to do the timing belt and water pump replacement. problem is, im absolutely BROKE and am trying to do it the cheapest way.

have any of you guys done it? and what did it run you?

I have a 96' civic with 72,000 I went into the honda dealer and they told me the timing belt needs to be replaced every 5 years or 90,000 miles what ever comes first. They qouted me $420.00 for timing belt and water pump, they replace the water pump at the same time because it's just as easy to replace it now than later down the road. It was going to be $500.00 if i had the lower seals replace which they said don't really go out but it's a good idea to replace them! So i haven't had mine done yet little expensive but it's very important to have it replaced! So i hope that helps you!

NoobSi

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow, $500 for just a timin belt & Water pump kit?
I went to AutoParts and got it way cheaper then that.
But, Installin the belts on a SOHC is easy, Dont even mess with
a DOHC, it was a 3day project for me :???:

sublimewls

What's Up Denny Neagle?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NoobSi said:
wow, $500 for just a timin belt & Water pump kit?
I went to AutoParts and got it way cheaper then that.
But, Installin the belts on a SOHC is easy, Dont even mess with
a DOHC, it was a 3day project for me :???:
i am about to do it in my car (not personally going to do the work), but i found a kit @ http://www.honda-auto-parts-wholesale.com (the are part of partsbin.com) for 75 bucks... its not honda parts, but oem specs. I ordered my parts and got them within 2 days, and everything looks fine and dandy,so hopefully its some help. Mine was Contitech.... also if you spend over 250 bucks its free shipping.

dubster99

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's not really all that hard to do. Get a manual, a few hours on a saturday, and the right tools...you're good to go. And don't use a crappy belt, get an OEM honda belt..quality.

duFf_M@N

...""peep show""...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've havent change my timing belt/water pump yet. I have 105....and some miles on it. My engine is starting to sound like a old beat up truck....Maybe cuz I've over heated twice. :rolf: ,,, but back to topic.... Have a pro... do it...save the cash and get it done.

Have a few more hundred dllrs to save up for my B18C.... Cant wait...
"talking to car" dont worry your new heart will be here soon... there there.....

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
duFf_M@N said:
I've havent change my timing belt/water pump yet. I have 105....and some miles on it. My engine is starting to sound like a old beat up truck....Maybe cuz I've over heated twice. :rolf: ,,, but back to topic.... Have a pro... do it...save the cash and get it done.

Have a few more hundred dllrs to save up for my B18C.... Cant wait...
"talking to car" dont worry your new heart will be here soon... there there.....
haha yea I so want a b18...then again I'm also considering the H22A anyone hook me up with thoughts and reasons one or the other would be better?

dubster99

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
T!mmy said:
haha yea I so want a b18...then again I'm also considering the H22A anyone hook me up with thoughts and reasons one or the other would be better?
H22A motor is cheaper, but mount kits and install will be more. The b18 is pretty much a direct bolt in, whereas the H22 requires some modification. The H22 will make more power, and significantly more torque...which is what you'll notice. However, the H22 is about 150 lbs or so heavier than your single cam, so you'll need proper suspension components to compensate for that. Axle angle is also a problem with the H22 when the car is lowered too much.

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so comparing the two engines...and after I get it in...disregarding the costs...which engine would be better? Also as far as suspension goes I plan on getting the Tein SS so I should have adequate suspension.

thanks

mugen_tuned

4G63-T
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for me, its a 4 to 6 hour job to do the water pump and timing belt, i find it fun though. it sucks to have an interference engine, once that belt goes, valves say hello to pistons, and kiss you head goodbye!

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have done the timing belt and decided to leave my water pump alone after I got it off. The water pupm looked brand new on the inside. The hardest is actually lining the cam gear and the marks up right. Hard to get a good sight with all the damn tubing in the way. The only problem was we snaped a valve cover bolt....yes a valve cover bolt and it was the last bolt put on. My wife laughed at my buddy and me, she actually had tears coming down her face. The process is somewhat time consuming and if you know what you are doing you can do it. Its just that if you mess up you really mess up.