timing belt

nikul

Banned
hi every one i don`t know if i should change my timing belt or not, how do i know if i need to change the timing belt!! :?:

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dealer recommends at 60K the haynes manual says 100K. when doing the timing belt do the water pump too it will save you in labor in the long run. expect about 500usd for both.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
$500 for both :shock: might as well just buy a new d-series lol

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
labor is what kills your pockets, unless you do it yourself. another way of know if your belt is going bad is that, you'll hear the belt getting loose and hittin the cam gear cover. IF it's just loose, you can tighten it back up by adjusting the Timing Belt Tensioner, that's possibale if you got a manual tensioner. Tensioners also go bad, i've read that most of the ones that go bad are the automatic ones, i suppose that's why some people convert to manual tensioners. Also if a belt is loose, and skip, jump or hop, it can through off timing. Do some inspection first to determine if your belt really needs to be change, but like someone else state, the manual recommends you change it at a specific mileage.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dealer recommends at 60K the haynes manual says 100K. when doing the timing belt do the water pump too it will save you in labor in the long run. expect about 500usd for both.
try $700

Civics Rule

5+ Year Member
I had my timing belt changed at a Honda dealer. Cost was a little under $600, but that was last summer tho. But now I'm hearing gurgling from behind the dash from the heater core, I suspect, like there is air in my coolant system, I tried to bleed out, but it's still making the noise. This gurgling noise was definatly not there before the $600 timing belt job!!! They also changed the coolant, water pump, and the drive belts. But now I'm wondering if I should have ever had the damn job done at all. I think that was my last "dealer" maintainance job.... the rest of the work will go to my local mechanic!!!!! At least I won't have to drive an hour and a half to get there!!!!

deebs9000

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This is what I fear as well..My car has just over 106k miles on it and I don't believe the timing belt/water pump were changed. But from working on the car in past experiences s**t breaks when trying to take nuts and bolts off. I'm afraid if I take it to a dealer and have them do the work it's going to cause more bad than good.

vietboiz12345

5+ Year Member
i think if you go to like small shops that you can trust
it will be cheaper
because in califorina, everyone is trying to make money so the shops would lower their prices by alot. OEM parts too and their a little bit under 400 =)