Timing Belt

rollinj86

Hit the vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well i saw that my timing belt was starting to wear so i decide to get a new one, during the install i am having trouble taking the pulleys off cuz i cant get the crank to stay still. I tried sticking a screw driver inside and pulling it out well someon tryed loosning the bolt but it didnt work. Anybody a better way of going about this. I would really appreciate it. thanks. Oh ya i dont have acces to a impact gun.

redsidriver2

Banned
ive seen a tool thats like a wrench that fits the shape inside the crank pulley and has a hollow center so u can acces the bolt with a wrench and someone else can hold the pulley in place ill try to find it for ya

Zak8022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what i did... and i am sure this isnt a good idea, but it worked... was to take off the flywheel dustcover and stick a bigass screwdrive in to keep the flywheel (and therefore the crank) from turning, while a friend went to town on the crank bolt. personally, i had alot of trouble getting the crank bolt off... but eventually got it with one mother of a breaker bar i borrowed from a mechanic friend.

rollinj86

Hit the vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
haha that bolt got owned. i think im gonna try putting it in gear and holding the breaks down maybe that will work.

importlegions

1 god, 1 life,1 choice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow it took me about a week for that b***h to come loose, i even broke a breaker bar gettn it off no joke, ur best bet is to get a pair of iron type plyers and stick the ends of the handles in the key holes so that it cant move either way much,take off the right sight motor mount, and put ur breaker bar throught then engine bay along with a cheater bar to get it loose, it should come off with a good amount of leverage

b16_delslow

"THE MAN"
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmmm.... i never thought of trying that. I took my compressor and set it @ 130psi and spun it right off..... maybe ill try that next time.... lol

just goes to show you that the right tools can make all the difference.

evan2

Search owns you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can do the flywheel thing but Ive seen some issues with them before.. people breaking stuff
just get the right tool for the job

why are you taking the pulley off for the T belt..???

typeRrice14

^ such a ricer...
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
breaker bar. thats what my dad n i used last weekend to replace mine. u replacin the water pump too? it suggested.

b16_delslow

"THE MAN"
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
evan2 said:
You can do the flywheel thing but Ive seen some issues with them before.. people breaking stuff
just get the right tool for the job

why are you taking the pulley off for the T belt..???

the under drive pulley has to be removed in order to get the cover off. if you dont have a timing belt cover on you can skip that step, but its a b***h to snake the belt out.

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes, i can do a timing belt on my EJ in about 2 hours.

you should stop by lol.

smitty82pu

"hail hail to old Purdue"
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i can feel your pain.. i just had to pull a head on a '94 lude this past week after a broken belt (pinged 12 valves!) and had trouble with the crank bolt and found out why.. it calls for 181 ft/lbs!!.. 130psi of air wouldnt do it so i had to use a breaker bar from hell too.. most of em arent that bad though..

PoppaSmurfGSR

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My timming belt just snapped last week on my GSR motor. I fixed it but it was a b***h getting the bottom pulley off. You need that wrench tool that redsdriver was talking about and you should prob have an impact gun. I had the same problem myself.

evan2

Search owns you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea i dont have much on my motor hahha..covers n s**t pfft on that mess

soldiaboy

343 FDNY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
does anyone have a proformance t belt like greddy? is it worth it

evan2

Search owns you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no, honda oem belts last long enough do they not?