Timing Chain on b16a2 2000 EM1

AmerOne

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i know this might be a noob question but i cant find andy answers anywhere ( i searched google ) , is it possible to convert the b16a2 that came with the 2000 EM1 from a timig belt to a timing chain , or any of the B series engines as a matter of fact ? and also would the chain be more beneficial VS. timing belt ? thanks in advance

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
Im sure it could be done but then your looking at custom cam gears, crank gear and water pump. Not to mention you would need chain guides to help keep the chain tension proper.

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
why would you want a timing chain? timing chains aren't always better than belts. you have to worry about replacing guides and all that. belts are much easier to replace and last longer. there are no lubricants that are used with a belt compared to a chain, the guides wear out after time and you need to replace timing chains as often as belts well almost as often. you would be making a lot of work for yourself with pretty much no beneficial outcome.

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
But think about when he pulls up to the meet, pops his hood, and everyone's like "woaaahhhhhh"! =)

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yah, just keep the belt man, its not gonna do anything differnt for ya, if it aint broke, dont fix it

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
But think about when he pulls up to the meet, pops his hood, and everyone's like "woaaahhhhhh"! =)
haha they wont know its got a chain instead of a belt since it would need to be covered and somehow have a sealed housing to keep all the gear lube from spraying everywhere since timing chains need to be lubricated

AmerOne

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LOL @ the meet answer :P its not something im planing on doing i was just curious if its possible to do and if it would be more beneficial vs. timing belt , for soe reason i though chain would be stronger choice which last longe but i guess theres no difference really. thanks for all the answers guys =)

Finnish~Racer

The ONLY Finnish-Canadian
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
LOL @ the meet answer :P its not something im planing on doing i was just curious if its possible to do and if it would be more beneficial vs. timing belt , for soe reason i though chain would be stronger choice which last longe but i guess theres no difference really. thanks for all the answers guys =)
timing belts are made to survive substantial abuse....but wear occurs on everything in a car, so it would be the same with the metal chain, which has any number of points in the linkage that could break are enumerated instead of a timing belt that is continuous and will only break at its weakest, most worn point.

stick to the belt, way less hassle to fix, way less maintenance overall.

x2 on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it principle"! :D

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so it would be the same with the metal chain,
disagree completely... while im not saying its reasonable to put a chain on a civic... i do NOT think rubber belt is equal to a metal chain..

Finnish~Racer

The ONLY Finnish-Canadian
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmm.....i mean i know metal is better than rubber, but i meant it towards the many points of linkage compared to one continuous belt

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmm.....i mean i know metal is better than rubber, but i meant it towards the many points of linkage compared to one continuous belt
i broke a timing belt in a honda.. i have known others to have done the same.. but i have never heard of someone breaking a timing chain in a mustang.. im NOT saying it doesnt happen.. just saying in my immediate circle of friends..

by saying all of the links make it more fragile is a flawed mentality.. the reason i say this is think about it like this.. each belt is the SAME length.. now take a marker and mark EVERY point in which the belt could fail.. the ENTIRE belt will be covered in marks since it is ONE long piece of rubber one point is no stronger than the next.. the belt COULD brake anywhere.. now do the same thing to the timing chain.. while the chain COULD snap anywhere.. it is really only logical that IF its going to snap its going to snap where the links meet.. that means that you will have a FRACTION of potential breaking point on a chain when compared to the ENTIRE rubber belt on the honda.. neither chains OR belts are perfect.. but i rarely hear about chains breaking.. sometimes they jump a tooth... but breaking? not so often..

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
i snapped a timing chain in my vr6T jetta. and personally i like belts more now. they are easier to work with and cheaper to replace since you have to replace the guides and the tensioners are usually more expensive. plus when a timing chain snaps it does a lot more damage than a broken belt. although if the engine has zero tolerance it wouldnt matter if you broke a belt or a chain.your most likey going to destroy your motor.

civic hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i agree with most here, a timing belt breaks all you have to worry about is damaging valves and valve guides, when a timing chain breaks besides valve and guides, you have to worry about what damage the chain will do from slapping around on the side of the motor..

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It's really not too big of a difference... just keep up with maintenance on either and you're fine.