Timing Question

99WheelsSI

5+ Year Member
So im in the progess of dropping a new engine in my car. Well ilts actually already in just having wiring issues. w/e anyway lets track a few weeks back. So my friend and i were installing the clutch on to my new engine...now i didnt know this at the time but apparenly he loosened the tensioner bolt. i didnt see how loose it was so i couldnt say exactly. anyway, when i started to torque the flywheel on i hear clicking. that's when he went around and saw that the tensioner was loose.

My question is...would that have affected the timing between the crank and the cam gears? i looked at the gears and the arrows are both pointing the same direction, but i cant see the crank with the lower cover on. and i really didnt wanna try to loosen that crank pulley nut. im in the finaly stages of firing this thing up. and i dont wanna knock a friggin valve. Thanks!

andrewmrtnsn

5+ Year Member
about 99% sure it wouldnt have man. its really hard to get the timing belt to jump a tooth. but.. its always better to check twice than f**k up ur head when u start it. my 2 cents

99WheelsSI

5+ Year Member
yea. probably so. I just really wanna get it started, but am afraid to... anyone else wanna voice an opinion?

99WheelsSI

5+ Year Member
ANY way i can see ilf the crank is aligned w/o having to remove the lower belt cover? anybody?

96civicrunner

5+ Year Member
ANY way i can see ilf the crank is aligned w/o having to remove the lower belt cover? anybody?
Well... if you havent tooken the crank out at all than its already aligned... no need to worry about that. Just make sure your arrows on the cams are pointing up when your pulley reads TDC and make sure the belt is on good meaning check that tensioner that its not lose.

If when your arrows on the cams are pointing up, but not matching the white line on the pulley TDC that doesnt mean your crank is NOT align... it means you need to adjust your cams. just take off the timing belt, keep the pulley lined up with the TDC line and adjust your cams to have the arrows pointing up, than put the timing belt back on. The pulley TDC readings/lines are your best friend when getting your cams running right.

After all that your should be good to go.

99WheelsSI

5+ Year Member
Alright man. i'll take a look at that thanks for the info. i guess it was more of an issue whether or not i might have jumped teeth when torquing on the flywheel..thanks man

96civicrunner

5+ Year Member
Alright man. i'll take a look at that thanks for the info. i guess it was more of an issue whether or not i might have jumped teeth when torquing on the flywheel..thanks man
You dont jump tooths when torque the flywheel... better check your timing belt to make sure it didnt lose a tooth lol.

99WheelsSI

5+ Year Member
hmm well to be quite honest then. i think im just worrying for no reason. because when i started torquing it all i was doing was basically rotating the whole assembly...silly noob i know. upon realizing the tensioner was loose we tightened it down. Then we used our brains and had my friend counter the motion by holding the crank pulley nut with a socket. and bar.

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Another suggestion: I always just crank the engine over a few revolutions using a breaker bar and socket on the crank pulley nut to make sure nothing is contacting before actually firing the engine up.