Tips for the gun range?

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
In other news, currently looking for a Saiga IZ-134 and or a 91/30 Mosin... Have had a taste of the 7.62 and I can't kick the itch, but don't have the budget to drop a grand or two on something more up market.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I had that exact model Saiga a couple years back. I LOVED the rifle, but switched over to the AR platform, and sold the Saiga solely for budget reasons. I've been contemplating getting another one, and even found one in NJ recently. I think the price was $525? I'll see if I can find it for you.

Edit: Found the ad, he sold it already. I'll keep an eye out. Are you on NJGF?

In other news for me, I've just recently made a purchase as well. Daniel Defense M4 V5 lightweight upper, and some parts to go along with it. My AR will now consist of:

Spikes Tactical lower
Daniel Defense LPK
Magpul MIAD grip
Magpul CTR stock
ALG Defense ACT trigger
Daniel Defense M4 V5 lightweight upper
Magpul MBUS front/rear sights
Aimpoint Pro

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had that exact model Saiga a couple years back. I LOVED the rifle, but switched over to the AR platform, and sold the Saiga solely for budget reasons. I've been contemplating getting another one, and even found one in NJ recently. I think the price was $525? I'll see if I can find it for you.

Edit: Found the ad, he sold it already. I'll keep an eye out. Are you on NJGF?

In other news for me, I've just recently made a purchase as well. Daniel Defense M4 V5 lightweight upper, and some parts to go along with it. My AR will now consist of:

Spikes Tactical lower
Daniel Defense LPK
Magpul MIAD grip
Magpul CTR stock
ALG Defense ACT trigger
Daniel Defense M4 V5 lightweight upper
Magpul MBUS front/rear sights
Aimpoint Pro
SICK AR build man, Daniel defense makes awesome stuff.

I'm not on njgf, though I may consider it.

I want to get into the 7.62 game, whether it's 39 or 54r. Either way I can hunt with it and if need be combat effective with that beastly round. The Nagant is attractive as a sporter project option and hunting rifle and the 134 would accomplish the same with the mag fed option. When it comes down to it, availability and price will determine when and which I purchase.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
They do make great products. I wish I had a full DD rifle, but really the only thing I don't have is the lower itself. I'm okay with that. I just can't wait to get back home and get everything together, although it might be a while before I get to sight everything in :(

I've owned both the Saiga in 7.62x39, and a Mosin (91/30, not a carbine). I got rid of the Mosin because I simply did not enjoy shooting it. The x54 round can be pretty harsh on your shoulder, x39 is MUCH more tame. I understand you're not looking for just a fun rifle to shoot, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. The Mosin is obviously going to be cheaper, however you'll likely have to deal with corrosive ammo.

NJGF is a good site to be on, if for nothing else but the classified ads. There's new ones up everyday, and they're local.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
They do make great products. I wish I had a full DD rifle, but really the only thing I don't have is the lower itself. I'm okay with that. I just can't wait to get back home and get everything together, although it might be a while before I get to sight everything in :(

I've owned both the Saiga in 7.62x39, and a Mosin (91/30, not a carbine). I got rid of the Mosin because I simply did not enjoy shooting it. The x54 round can be pretty harsh on your shoulder, x39 is MUCH more tame. I understand you're not looking for just a fun rifle to shoot, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. The Mosin is obviously going to be cheaper, however you'll likely have to deal with corrosive ammo.

NJGF is a good site to be on, if for nothing else but the classified ads. There's new ones up everyday, and they're local.
Joined the NJGF about 20 mins ago...

That is the exact thing I'm fighting with, cost vs practicality vs availability. Either way you cut it, shooting is fun.

There are companies ( like Winchester and TulAmmo) that are making the 54R again, so the corrosive stuff isn't the only option anymore... the cheapest option, but not the only.

I'd like to try the Saiga if I could, but finding one in NJ and someone willing to let me shoot it is another story... and even less likely is if I can get my hands on an SCAR Heavy.. but that'll break the bank in the fun budget.

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
everyone needs at least one mosin, lol. i've got several, but rarely shoot them

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Joined the NJGF about 20 mins ago...

That is the exact thing I'm fighting with, cost vs practicality vs availability. Either way you cut it, shooting is fun.

There are companies ( like Winchester and TulAmmo) that are making the 54R again, so the corrosive stuff isn't the only option anymore... the cheapest option, but not the only.

I'd like to try the Saiga if I could, but finding one in NJ and someone willing to let me shoot it is another story... and even less likely is if I can get my hands on an SCAR Heavy.. but that'll break the bank in the fun budget.
As far as cost vs. practicality, they're both actually pretty good rifles. Obviously the Saiga is more expensive, but you get what you pay for. It all depends on what you want out of the rifle. Ideally, you could own both over the long run, and they'd both suit you for different purposes.

Glad you joined the forum, I saw that after reading your post. There's a member on there who did some pretty sweet work to a Mosin, you could check it out and see if you're willing to do that much work. It really depends on how much work you're willing to do.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/13919-monster-mosinalmost-done-updated-6-15-10/?hl=+monster++mosin

I just looked at the thread. Unfortunately the pictures aren't up anymore, but you can certainly PM him and ask him about it if the thread is missing details. His name is Eric, and he's a real helpful guy. Although he probably doesn't remember, I spoke to him a couple years ago. He dropped some knowledge about the Navy when I was thinking about joining.

As for the SCAR...I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it before, but I had the chance to shoot one a couple years back. It's a BEAUTIFUL rifle, and I'd love to own one someday. Yes it's quite expensive, but if you're willing to drop the coin, it's definitely worth it.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As far as cost vs. practicality, they're both actually pretty good rifles. Obviously the Saiga is more expensive, but you get what you pay for. It all depends on what you want out of the rifle. Ideally, you could own both over the long run, and they'd both suit you for different purposes.

Glad you joined the forum, I saw that after reading your post. There's a member on there who did some pretty sweet work to a Mosin, you could check it out and see if you're willing to do that much work. It really depends on how much work you're willing to do.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/13919-monster-mosinalmost-done-updated-6-15-10/?hl=+monster++mosin

I just looked at the thread. Unfortunately the pictures aren't up anymore, but you can certainly PM him and ask him about it if the thread is missing details. His name is Eric, and he's a real helpful guy. Although he probably doesn't remember, I spoke to him a couple years ago. He dropped some knowledge about the Navy when I was thinking about joining.

As for the SCAR...I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it before, but I had the chance to shoot one a couple years back. It's a BEAUTIFUL rifle, and I'd love to own one someday. Yes it's quite expensive, but if you're willing to drop the coin, it's definitely worth it.
Had the chance to do the same when working at the proving grounds, ergo is perfect ( for me)

curious about the Tavor as well, but bullpups tend to burn me... literally and figuratively...

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nothing to do with going to the range but just ordered the Apex Tactical Forward Set Sear and Trigger Kit along with Trijicon SA37 Sights (Green Front & Orange Rear)

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nothing to do with going to the range but just ordered the Apex Tactical Forward Set Sear and Trigger Kit along with Trijicon SA37 Sights (Green Front & Orange Rear)

In for pics! You should include before and after.

I love how this thread has turned into the gun thread :lol:

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm not going to install it but I can post some pics once I get them. Should be here by mid next week. Then I'm going to be out of town shooting fireworks for the holiday so it will get installed after that.