Tips on swappin out a clutch?

Zwick420

5+ Year Member
Sup, I just orderd an Exedy performance clutch kit for my 03 civic. Stock one is bout done for.
Anyone have any experience on replacing one? i plan on doin it in my garage but ive never done this before. Any tips or pointers????

Tkdtim1226

5+ Year Member
Sorry no tips, but how many miles did you have on it when it went?

Zwick420

5+ Year Member
well its been makin the chatter sound for a while now. Started around 73,000 mi and i have about 82,000 on it now but i havent been able to afford a new clutch since it started. f**kin Recession. But i kno if i dont do it soon its gonna f**k up my tranny too so i gotta do it ASAP.

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
are you sure it wasnt your throw out bearing?

baron340

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Use a lift, thats the only advice I can give you. Its a serious PITA with a lift, much less without one.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
are you sure it wasnt your throw out bearing?
It probably is his throw out bearing. Same problem in my brothers EF hatch.

Just switch out the clutch while youre at it, no point in just replacing bearing. Make sure you get the fly wheel resurfaced.

deathviaangel

5+ Year Member
Well, I've done it twice on this car. And I would say use an engine lift if you have one. But if not I know autozone sells a tranny holder for those small jacks that will help to hold it because removing the sub frame is a b***h to do in a drive way.

Zwick420

5+ Year Member
well thanx for the info.
Even if it is just my trow out bearing ima go ahead and swap the clutch anyway.
i kno its gonna be a b***h to do it on my driveway but i aint payin 4 or 5 hundred dollars to get it done when my old neighbor that moved up the block used to work at All Trans & Service. He knos enough to help me do it here.

Should i get a new Flywheel while im at it?

baron340

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you have the cash definitely get a lighter flywheel. You have to take it out anyway, might as well. I just swapped my clutch then had to rebuild the tranny and didn't have the cash for a new flywheel and I'm kicking myself for not finding a way to get one.

Vikking

5+ Year Member
anyone else find that the clutches on 7th gen die quickly?? on my 97 civic, the clutch lasted to 140K Miles. On my 03 LX cpe, the clutch is almost finished at 50K miles!

sorry for the hi-jack...

make sure to change the bearing and resurface the flywheel, it's also not a bad idea to change the timing belt & water pump while your there.

Tkdtim1226

5+ Year Member
where can i go or how do i get the flywheel resurfaced?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that is something almost any auto shop can do. I don't think you need to take it anywhere special like a machine shop. Call around to some local shops and see if they do it and, if they do, how much it will cost.

baron340

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It usually isn't too expensive for a resurfacing, but most shops source it out to a machine shop.

Zwick420

5+ Year Member
thanx but i found an 8 lb flywheel for $125 from F1 racing so ima get dat for now. ima need some quick cash to get it tho. well i guess ima be out late again ;)

Zwick420

5+ Year Member
i only spent $100 bones on the whole kit.
ebay is cheaper. it came with everything i need except for the flywheel so i ordered that today. the clutch is already here so as soon as that flywheel gets here ima go ahead and swap the s**t out

Thanx errbody