Tire Size?

HiPWR Racing

JDM Whore
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What would be a good tire size for my 96 ej8. i'm gonna get konig helium 15x6.5's

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
195/50/15

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
205/50r15

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How low are you dropped, if at all?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
195/50 has a slightly lower profile than 205/50, but the 205 has a wider contact patch. the 195 will make your wheel look a little bigger if youre lowered

i recommend yokohama tires. you can get the yoko s.drive for about $68 a piece

*EDIT*
FYI this is a 15x6.5" helium with 205/50 yokohama avs es100

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I really hate to thread jack but what the hell.

Will a 195/55/15 tire fit a 15x6.5 wheel. Just want to make absolutely sure. Thanks.

Jas0nEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I got the 195/50/15 on my Heliums. They look good. I wound up getting some inexpensive all-weather performance (but not by any means racing) tires, some Kumho Ecstas.

I got my Heliums from buywheelstoday.com by the way, I think they have the best price on packages.

You can go 205 but the tires will be fatter, since the "50" references the width of the tire itself. Therefore the 205s will have a slightly larger rolling diameter, which hurts acceleration and assists in top speed ... that's not really practical information unless you're thinking about things like speedometer and odometer accuracy or fuel economy.

By the way, here's a pretty good website, it's a simple calculator that helps you figure out just how off your speedometer will be given stock tires versus different sizes. Check it out. http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html

Jas0nEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I really hate to thread jack but what the hell.

Will a 195/55/15 tire fit a 15x6.5 wheel. Just want to make absolutely sure. Thanks.
Yes it will. And your rolling diameter will be ALMOST exactly the same as the stock tire, so these would be a good choice, albeit an uncommon one.

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
definately go 195/50/15. i went 205 with mine and i like the extra grip but being a wider tire it rubs more and i cant go as low as i would like. the next set of tires that i get will be 195's for sure.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Yes it will. And your rolling diameter will be ALMOST exactly the same as the stock tire, so these would be a good choice, albeit an uncommon one.
Only reason for that tire size is I already have them and they have maybe 400 miles on them. I'm getting new wheels and if I sold the tires with them I'd take too big of a loss on them.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
195/55/15 is actually what you should have on there

Jas0nEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Only reason for that tire size is I already have them and they have maybe 400 miles on them. I'm getting new wheels and if I sold the tires with them I'd take too big of a loss on them.
Sounds like the way to go then.

benja455

5+ Year Member
Okay, I'm a newbie...I've got a 98 CIvic EX Sedan that is bone stock. I am looking to throw some Accord or Integra OEM alloys on it to simply get rid of the old steelies/tires. What wheels/tires will fit (with stock suspension/ride height) and cause me minimal differences on the speedo and odometer?

booze_b

At work CC user
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
195/55R15 is dam near the same diameter as 205/50R15. 205 is not that much wider either. Specs are different between manufactures aswell. I've seen 205/55R16's with a 3/4" difference in width between General and Dean. Imo go with 205/50R16 though.

This will give you a good generalization of tire diam & width though.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
definately go 195/50/15. i went 205 with mine and i like the extra grip but being a wider tire it rubs more and i cant go as low as i would like. the next set of tires that i get will be 195's for sure.
my thoughts exactly

when i wear out my current ES100's im switching to S.Drive and going one size down to the 195/50's too