To do coilover or lowering springs

motakitty

I just got a 93 civic and it has what looks to be cheap eBay coilovers and it rides kinda harsh. Not to sure of the condition of the struts but they don't appear to be leaking. The tires are almost tucked which i like but not sure ifi should get gc coilovers or just static drop it, i know it'll rode stiffer then stock but not sure which kind of coilovers will ride smoother or should i just go with lowering springs to lower it like 2.5"

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

CO671

Registered VIP
It's already blown by now, get coilovers if you want to go 2 inches. Koni/GC combo, or Progress CSII's

motakitty

Im looking at the sleeves

It actually doesn't ride that bad but id like it softer

Last edited by a moderator:

motakitty

Im kinda on a budget so i was thinking id get the gc sleeves then later get kybs

What about skunk2

Last edited by a moderator:

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
First, what the hell is it with people throwing the term "static" around when it comes to lowering? When your car is sitting still, it is "static"... Saying you want to lower for a "static ride height" or "static drop" or "I don't plan on racing, just want a static drop" or the million other ways the term has been oddly used or misused is just dumb.

Definition:
Static- exerting force by reason of weight alone without motion.

IF YOUR CAR IS SITTING STILL, REGARDLESS TO WHAT SUSPENSION WORK IS DONE, IT IS IN A STATIC STATE.

The only time it makes sense to use the term static when it comes to ride height is when you might be trying to figure out the ideal ride height when the car is STATIC(or just sitting still) vs when the suspension is at full compression. What a lot of people who race tend to do..

/rant

I just got a 93 civic and it has what looks to be cheap eBay coilovers and it rides kinda harsh. Not to sure of the condition of the struts but they don't appear to be leaking. The tires are almost tucked which i like but not sure ifi should get gc coilovers or just static drop it, i know it'll rode stiffer then stock but not sure which kind of coilovers will ride smoother or should i just go with lowering springs to lower it like 2.5"

Just because the shocks are not visibly leaking does not mean they are not worn out. A simple way to find out if one or all of your shocks are worn out is the "bounce test". Simple press down on each corner of the car with a decent amount of force and see how many times that corner of the car bounces before coming to rest. Google it for more information.

"not sure if I should get gc coilovers or just static drop it". What? Refer to my rant above as to how this quote makes no sense.

Im kinda on a budget so i was thinking id get the gc sleeves then later get kybs

If you're on a budget, save your money to do it right the first time. GC sleeves are made shock specific. If you buy the GC sleeves for your current shocks, they will likely not work with the KYB's. Your best option is to buy the whole kit together, the sleeves AND the shocks at one time. Also, trying to just buy the sleeves for your current shocks will mean that when those shocks wear out, you'll need to tear apart the suspension and replace everything AGAIN. This also means you'll end up need to do 2 alignments.

Simply put, if you buy the sleeves AND a good set of shocks, install at the same time and get your alignment, you will save A LOT more money in the long run.

If you can't afford to do this, don't try to half ass it. Just get some decent lowering springs that can be had for $150-$200 like Tein STech, Progess Sport Spring, Eibach Pro-kit, etc..

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First, what the hell is it with people throwing the term "static" around when it comes to lowering? When your car is sitting still, it is "static"... Saying you want to lower for a "static ride height" or "static drop" or "I don't plan on racing, just want a static drop" or the million other ways the term has been oddly used or misused is just dumb.

Definition:
Static- exerting force by reason of weight alone without motion.

IF YOUR CAR IS SITTING STILL, REGARDLESS TO WHAT SUSPENSION WORK IS DONE, IT IS IN A STATIC STATE.

The only time it makes sense to use the term static when it comes to ride height is when you might be trying to figure out the ideal ride height when the car is STATIC(or just sitting still) vs when the suspension is at full compression. What a lot of people who race tend to do..

/rant

Just because the shocks are not visibly leaking does not mean they are not worn out. A simple way to find out if one or all of your shocks are worn out is the "bounce test". Simple press down on each corner of the car with a decent amount of force and see how many times that corner of the car bounces before coming to rest. Google it for more information.

"not sure if I should get gc coilovers or just static drop it". What? Refer to my rant above as to how this quote makes no sense.

If you're on a budget, save your money to do it right the first time. GC sleeves are made shock specific. If you buy the GC sleeves for your current shocks, they will likely not work with the KYB's. Your best option is to buy the whole kit together, the sleeves AND the shocks at one time. Also, trying to just buy the sleeves for your current shocks will mean that when those shocks wear out, you'll need to tear apart the suspension and replace everything AGAIN. This also means you'll end up need to do 2 alignments.

Simply put, if you buy the sleeves AND a good set of shocks, install at the same time and get your alignment, you will save A LOT more money in the long run.

If you can't afford to do this, don't try to half ass it. Just get some decent lowering springs that can be had for $150-$200 like Tein STech, Progess Sport Spring, Eibach Pro-kit, etc..
Well said on all points, including the rant. All I will add is that if your mildly satisfied with low-quality eBay coilovers then you should be very satisfied with name-brand quality shock/spring set-up that'll run much cheaper (around $500-$600) than higher quality coilovers that will run well over $1000. If you're not heavily modifying your civic for some aggressive regular driving then coilovers arent necessary.

motakitty

I just want to drive low with a smooth ride and sorry for pissing civexspeedy off so much i guess i should have said im not sure if i want an adjustable suspension or a non adjustable suspension to be more specific geez. I think we all knew what i ment but i guess next time I'll use the proper dictionary terms

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I just want to drive low with a smooth ride and sorry for pissing civexspeedy off so much i guess i should have said im not sure if i want an adjustable suspension or a non adjustable suspension to be more specific geez. I think we all knew what i ment but i guess next time I'll use the proper dictionary terms

speedy is right on his advice. I think that you should spend some time looking around on here at reviews and members cars to see what catches your eye. No need to rush into things, right?

have you thought about posting your ride? =)

motakitty

Paint the hood flat black and get different wheels cause one is just the stock one.

motakitty

I might add a cold air intake but i don't want to mess with the exhaust cause i hate it when they sound like a pack of bees in a can

motakitty

I'll probably go with gc coilover sleeves so i can set my drop right where i want it and i read nothing but good things about them

motakitty

How would you set the coilovers without a scale to balance the car. I know i could measure each side and set them the same but i dought the car is perfectly balanced. Sorry for what seems to be dumb questions maybe

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'll probably go with gc coilover sleeves so i can set my drop right where i want it and i read nothing but good things about them

I hope you're buying good shocks like Koni's for those Ground Controls..

How would you set the coilovers without a scale to balance the car. I know i could measure each side and set them the same but i dought the car is perfectly balanced. Sorry for what seems to be dumb questions maybe

You don't need scales to set the ride height. You just need scales if you plan on corner balancing the car, which you don't need to do if this is just a street car.