To part out or not to part out.. that is the question

gav91183

I have a 2003 civic EX coupe 5spd. I was letting brother rent to own it and well he decided to hit a guardrail. So long story short, he shafted me on a few payments and then wrecked the car. This is what I get for being a good older brother. He "thought" he had full coverage and he didn't even have towing. Now I am stuck with a paperweight for the time being as I do not want to fix is and have another car as a daily. The car ran great prior and had about 25K miles on a new top and and rebuilt transmission/clutch. there are about 180K miles on the chassis. Ignore the flaming i-vtec stickers on it, they were on it when I bought it. What would you do with it? what do you think it's worth each way?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'd recommend parting it out. Throw the whole thing on CL "for parts" and see what people contact you for. I did this with my Civic and have had people inquire about anything from the entire motor all the way down to the clock spring.

It's tedious, and more work than just getting rid of it, but you'll get more $ in the long run if you have success selling them.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Have you seen what all is damaged on the car? (rear control arm) Parting out a car is a huge pain. It takes forever. I would look into what all is damaged, see if you can source some junkyard parts to get the car moving, and then sell it to someone needing a cheap beater. That way you don't have to use so much of your free time parting out individual pieces.