To side molding or not to side molding... that is the question

GeorgeLouis1618

Registered Hondaphile
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My dilema:

Keeping the car Taffeta white. Thats a definate. Now I'm on this kick where I may do without the side moldings like the 92-95's. What do you all think? I've been seeing it done a lot lately, and I dont want to be one that hops on a boat. But I'm thinking it might look kinda good.

Here's my current cosmetic setup:
Si lip
Si grille
Si wheels
Type-R wing (real, but used)
Possibly a rear valance (to be determined before it gets painted)
Lowered on Neuspeed sports
Dark tinted windows

We'll be painting the car when I return from my vacation to Phoenix at the end of this month (July, Phoenix in July I know). Any opinions or links to pics of similar setups would be appreciated...

And remember, everyone's entitled to their own opinion... even if it's wrong :D

edhgreatone

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you take off your side moldings won't you have nasty holes where they were locked into ?

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think it would look nice. Take out the moldings and have the bodyshop fill the hole leaving the indented strip. Are you planning on repainting the whole car?

AqueousFila

Keeping it Tru'
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i've never seen a car with the indented strip... id say just paint the molding or shave it, but if u get the indented strip thing like [civic] said, post some pics!

lj17

vsmc #7 cccc #169
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i've seen cars with just the indent. looks alright, but i think the shaved look is better. and on 6th gen cars, you will have a bunch of square holes from the clips that hold them on. 2 in the fenders, 3 in the rear quarter panels, and 7 or 8 in the doors, i think. i did mine over a year ago. as for just filling the holes (and not the indent), i think that would be extremely hard, since you are working with really thin sheetmetal. if you want to go that route, it would probably be safer and easier to just fill the indentation and shave them. plus it looks better, imo

StreetEuro99

Dont make me reload!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just get ya self some JDM moldings bro. Had to give ya a shout out.

kittles3069

RSX in Motion!!!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did my sides like 2 years ago and i love it, I think besides rims it can improve the look the most.....

Not cheap if you have a bodyshop do it and very difficult to do it on your own...

Last edited:

lj17

vsmc #7 cccc #169
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice....and thats an interesting color combo you have- with the white wheels and cf hood. i did the bulk of mine myself and just had the bodyshop do the final finishing before they resprayed the car. is it just me, or do you have a real slight body line about half an inch up from your side skirts? (half an inch in the pic, not on the actual car..)

steve8091

Blanned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lj17 said:
nice....and thats an interesting color combo you have- with the white wheels and cf hood. i did the bulk of mine myself and just had the bodyshop do the final finishing before they resprayed the car. is it just me, or do you have a real slight body line about half an inch up from your side skirts? (half an inch in the pic, not on the actual car..)
That's a reflection of the crack on the pavement.

Madspeed_Si

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Leave the molding and just paint it, the ones that doesn't have the moulding have a tiresome look to it

emerge

R'TEk Innovations
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's a pretty cool idea. I think you should go for it.

P.S. I'll but the stock molding pieces from the fenders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lj17

vsmc #7 cccc #169
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
emerge said:
It's a pretty cool idea. I think you should go for it.

P.S. I'll but the stock molding pieces from the fenders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have 2 sets of the moldings from the fenders. one set is vogue silver off my 96 fenders, and the other set is milano red, off a pair of si fenders from when i did my 99-00 conversion. both sets are fine; they just have some scratches. but either way it looks like you have to have them color-matched....

hit me with a pm if your interested, both sets are just laying here, so i could send them to you as soon as you pay.

EBPimpSi

CCCC member #76
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I say get the thin jdm side moldings...they look clean plus not many peeps are flossin those

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
IMO get the side molding painted to your cars color...othwise when someone bangs your car with thier door and scratched or worse dents your car your gonna wish you had the molding...

Im Pro Molding

child_racer

Jspek kid
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont know about your ride ^^^^ but if something hit my car it would be a bit higher than the side moldings seeing that my ej8 is dropped. I shaved my sides myself,....it took forever, I think it looks way better. but I also like the moldings off with the indent, and the JDM thin molding. Im just an all around person. The nicest look (IMO) is shaved sides because the molding doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the cars body lines.

GeorgeLouis1618

Registered Hondaphile
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Doin the body work myself (with a very experienced friend). Some people think those mounting wholes are hard to fill? Not really... Leaning towards going withought... thinking I can always re-do some JDM side moldings if I decide I dont like it. But I'm thinking it will have a nice, clean look. Not gonna do the whole shaved deal, kinda into the OEM look. And since no Civs came completely shaved, yea. Anyways... keep em coming. I would really like to see a white EK w/ the indent if anyone has some pics?

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
GeorgeLouis1618 said:
Doin the body work myself (with a very experienced friend). Some people think those mounting wholes are hard to fill? Not really... Leaning towards going withought... thinking I can always re-do some JDM side moldings if I decide I dont like it. But I'm thinking it will have a nice, clean look. Not gonna do the whole shaved deal, kinda into the OEM look. And since no Civs came completely shaved, yea. Anyways... keep em coming. I would really like to see a white EK w/ the indent if anyone has some pics?

I wish i have pics now of my frends 99 si. It was gunmetal si with those indented sides. It looked good IMO but it can look different with different colors..

child_racer

Jspek kid
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
GeorgeLouis1618 said:
........... Not gonna do the whole shaved deal, kinda into the OEM look. And since no Civs came completely shaved, yea. Anyways... keep em coming.........
EM2's and EP3's come completely shaved.....well not really shaved since there isn't any side molding to begin with

GeorgeLouis1618

Registered Hondaphile
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, you got me on that one (EP's being shaved). But still, shaving is out of the question.

If you can find pics of your friends gunmetal Si... I'd GREATLY appreciate it. I have been considering "Platinum Grey," a new beetle color. Pretty sure I'm gonna stay white, but I've been known to sparatically change my mind.

And how the hell do you quote? I've spent too much time trying to figure it out on my own. I'm a noob, someone help. Thanks