Too Hot for The AC?

lagunak47

So I have a 2000 Ex sedan with cold air intake, headers and exhaust and whenever it gets over 95 the civic just can't handle the heat. You turn the air on and it blows at like 78 but with the windows up and the air on full blast its still colder outside... when its 115 outside. Is this just a civic problem because my mom has an accord that blows 60 in 115? and i had the air recharged and topped off with freon from honda. It only cant keep up when it sits in the sun, when its in the shade it works fine.

xx2000CIVICxx

5+ Year Member
i cant speak for all cars, but i put new freon in mine last fall. and it takes awhile to get cool in the cab, and even then i still break a sweat after driving for more than 20 minutes.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe its a condenser problem, not exactly sure, but its the same problem going on with my crv

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I believe its a condenser problem, not exactly sure, but its the same problem going on with my crv
I would tend to agree with this. Given that the condenser is essentially a radiator, and it's a fact that it slowly gets plugged up and clogged over time, due to freon flow restriction I believe changing the condenser may significantly improve A/C performance.

I have the same issue in my '00 EX. I've just learned to park in the shade for the time being.

99CEX

Well being 115* outside and significantly hotter INSIDE the car, I don't know what's to complain about.

My 97 Civic blows around 68* when it's 100+ outside. When it's 80* it's blowing 40*. Anything more than 20-25* difference from ambient air and you're fine.

Don't blow A/C full blast on recirculate in the car as it just blows the hotter air around. Turn recirc on after you have fresh air come in from the outside that's cooler - unless you're parked in shade.

LXDriver

More HP is always good
5+ Year Member
my car takes awhile to get cool in the cab, and even then i still break a sweat after driving for more than 20 minutes.
Yep me 2 ^

Another little problem I have too is the A/C fan is acting bad I think cuz when I turn on the A/C, it sounds like a lawn mower and before it was normal, at times it sounds fine but then goes back to the lawn mower and the sound mainly comes from behind the glove box. Anybody know what might be causing this? Or could it be the fan or something else?

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the ac system in civics just suck. the ac components are just too small or something.

Dale_K

I just bought a 2000 Civic SI and the A/C is excellent. Right now the outside air temp is 90 with high humidity. I remember reading this thread and decided to add my $.02. With my A/C set on fresh air, not recirculation, I measured a discharge air temp of less than 40 degrees. The condensate drain was running like a faucet.

In other words the basic design of the A/C system is up to the task. If the A/C in your car is weak there's something wrong with your car. I've never had any luck trying to add 134 from the cans sold at the parts stores. If an A/C system gets air in the system you'll never make it work by trying to add freon. What has worked best for me is to get an A/C guy to evacuate the system completely and put in a measured charge.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm jealous you guys even have A/C. My s**t stopped working years ago and I don't want to pay to have it fixed. I just drive with the windows down and moonroof open.

JPouliot

5+ Year Member
for the guy with the lawnmower sound from behind the glove box, its probably your blower motor. this is easily replaced, but i would say leave it there until it stops functioning.

lagunak47

yea, well i had it charged and got the freon replaced by honda. it runs 40 in 80 degrees but try it when it's 116. Vegas sucks!

bow2000SI

I have a 2000 SI and have had several civics and have never had any issues with A/C once charged. assure you put the proper refrigerant in for your system, but before you do, try to replace your dryer.. often times that will help the flow and the conversion of the refrigerant between the high and low pressure systems. furthermore if it doesn't work, I would suggest checking into the condenser

keen20five

Got the same trouble with mi Si-R a week ago. found out that my compressor is not pumping good no more
my a/c technician friend replaced the compressor,expansion valve,and thermostat and drier then of course charge a good quality freon.
Now a/c is doing great. funny thing is we almost replace the whole a/c system except for the condenser and evaporator

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
your expansion valve may no longer be working correctly.
If the TXV was shot the entire system would be running high pressure and he wouldnt have any cold air at all.

What you need to do is get a set of gauges put on your car and see what it says to get an accurate diagnosis.

Since your A/C seems to still be putting out colder air from time to time it could be a faulting compressor clutch or perhaps a high pressure switch. Without a gauge readout its hard to tell.

This is all assuming that the system does not have a leak to account for low refrigerant.

However if all components are working properly just take it to your local shop and have them evacuate the system, recycle your refrigerant, replace system oil and recharge it. Then you will be kicking in the cold again.

Also note though if it is extremely hot outside your system should still push air that is around 30 degrees cooler than ambient on a properly working system.

mikemo

5+ Year Member
try getting coil cleaner and spray front and back of a/c coil and the radiator will clean out bugs ,dirt,etc. allowing more air flow thru fins on coil ,which in turn should allow more cooling inside your car . One point they make 2 type of coil cleaners the leave on and the rinse off if you use the rinse off kind flush dirt and crap out by flushing from inside to outside the opposite way the air enters . Careful not to much pressure and hold water straight with fins so u dont bend them.