too low for a tow

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
today i was pulling out of a parking lot when my steering gave out then my tire exploded! managed to reverse her into the parking lot. once i got the car jacked up, dont even ask how we got the jack under it, and the tire off i found out the nut from the tie rod came off, causing the tie rod to slide out & pop the tire!
on to the tow truck.. i was too low for the first truck so he left and had to send a flat bed. i ended up having to take off my front bumper and lip to fit onto the truck. only thing that scraped was my muffler for about 6 feet =)

turns out the threads on the tie rod are shot so i have to replace it. im getting the part tomorrow from my neighbor who does some of my car work. the big question... how hard is it to replace the inner tie rod? (drivers side) and links to a good how-to would be great =)

HAZARDOUScivic

5+ Year Member
good question i been wondering that 2 i need mines replace all four! both sides

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah i found one of ronj's diagrams on another site but hopefully he's got one more triggered towards exactly what i need.

heykosal

5+ Year Member
Race Ramps:thumbs up

My Civic is stock right now, but both 'tegs I had were dumped. I just nailed together a bunch of 2x4's and then cut a 30 degree angle and made my own for when I need to get a jack under;)

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Race Ramps:thumbs up

My Civic is stock right now, but both 'tegs I had were dumped. I just nailed together a bunch of 2x4's and then cut a 30 degree angle and made my own for when I need to get a jack under;)
i had the stock jack, and a piece of wood that was about an inch high. had to have my buddy lift the body of the car up since it was about... an inch off the ground cause of the flat :D

i usually have more wood but of course this time i didnt!

AllTracCelica

300whp / 230torque
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Man wish i would of taken pictures when i did my tie rods to show you guys. Not that hard though. Wouldnt advise getting autozone tie rods... Its wierd they where to different sizes and would fit took em back and they said those were right so went else were.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2 x 8's are your best friend

jasanp

5+ Year Member
Damn..I know what you mean. I recently had to tow my car twice and both times my front bumper scratched....and was only able to tow with a flatbed. (2.5 drop) :(

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the s**t u have to deal with having a lowered vehicle...priceless...

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i only have a pic of the flat tire when the car is sitting on the ground. i was busy helping the guy get the car onto the truck without destroying it