too much engine movement? need new mounts?

1337 | RCE

teh broke enthusiast
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
hey guys, i really have to baby the clutch to keep my car from rocking back and forth under acceleration. also, when i'm coasting and then ever so slightly get back on the gas, it's quite harsh....noticably more than when i first got it.

Basically i'm wondering if it's time to replace my motor mounts and what would be the best option? OEM or other. I took a look at the mounts and they look ok (except the driver side torque mount :P ), but the main ones look alright. i have 137k miles on my car btw.

thanks!

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
from the sound of it you do need new mounts. the best replacements would be prothane motor mount inserts.

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why dont you look to see if the rubber is torn

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
from the sound of it you do need new mounts. the best replacements would be prothane motor mount inserts.
they're called inserts for a reason... They are not full mounts.

1337 | RCE

teh broke enthusiast
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
why dont you look to see if the rubber is torn
"I took a look at the mounts and they look ok (except the driver side torque mount)"

the torque mount is the one way up front mounted under the chassis, but it doesn't look like it's responsible for this much movement. i'll take the best pics i can tomorrow maybe.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
how is the condition of your tranny mount? you said the car moves only when you shift? or does it have a constant vibration and shakey movement when your at a stop/go?

aztecracer

Proud owner of an EJ8
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Inserts are good but my suggestion is dont do it all around. If you do your engine wont move anymore but your car will vibrate a lot. my opinion which worked for me, I have a swap though i dont know what you have. I tried different things. and what worked for me was Performance mount in the back inserts in the driver side and a stock replacement on the tranny it doesnt vibrate as much as when i put inserts all around. that was just me though

1337 | RCE

teh broke enthusiast
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This gives you guys a little bit better idea of the condition they're in...

The one that's noticably messed up...

@ toneekay: the movement is all the time. just everytime force on the engine is changed, it has a very loose feel to it. an example would be cruising along then taking your foot off the gas, there's a very brief moment before i can feel the motor start to create drag.

I'm definetly getting a ingall's torque dampener at some point, but I think, like the inserts, it would be more like a bandaid on an infected wound.....wouldn't solve the source of the problem.

THANKS FOR THE INPUT......WOULD LOVE MORE ;)

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
they're called inserts for a reason... They are not full mounts.
they still work. my mounts were all torn up and i put the inserts in and it fixed the problem.

they make you forget about your broken mount. =)

ryanM

they still work. my mounts were all torn up and i put the inserts in and it fixed the problem.

they make you forget about your broken mount. =)
yea, they work...but you said they were the BEST solution, which they are not even close to being...

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
best solution is to pick yourself up a set of new performance mounts, and a torque dampener

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea, they work...but you said they were the BEST solution, which they are not even close to being...
for the price they are. its not like he needs anything better, his car is snot boosted.