Too Much Vtec?

deftones0817

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ImportzNThangz said:
well....for the dual cams it wastes ur gas like a mothaufucka...and im pretty sure its not good for your car to be high revin it all the time either

I rev my car to 86 all day long. Its not a waste of gas if you have closed loop disabled and you car is tuned. You have to think. When you are at partial throttle you o2 sensor is trying to get a pefect a/f of 14.7. If you disabled closed looped and tuned you car to 14.7 - 15.1. You could get better gas mileage than stock. Since when you hit full throttle you closed loop is disabled and you car isnt running a 14.7 a/f anymore. Its all in the tuning. Just a thought. Tuning owns you all. And if you still don't believe me come down to oc for the meet and i'll take you for a ride in my car. im up to 35 mpg reving the piss out of it all day long now. :P And if you motor is built right then revving it to stock 8k isnt going to hurt it. It was meant to do this.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
theres a reason the redline is at 8000rpm, its because it can go to 8000rpm. my cel light came on months ago as i was hitting vtec and it was because the lobes were getting weird cuz i wasnt hitting vtec ENOUGH....i thought it was kinda weird but hey im not complaining.

Redline9

^PIMPISH^
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its not only VTEC ur engine makes more power in the higher rpms thats also sum of da "pull" yall feel

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you all know so much about these cars. Er i cant wait till i can afford to do sum good work on this civic and i cant wait to learn more about how to tune and just learn more about the civic!!

deftones0817

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ex 2000 you sure it wasnt becasue your car was still cold. I have to let the car warm up to operating temperature before vtec will kick in. Just a thought...im not sure if that is what you meant though.

IGotASlowCivic

Yeah Im slow... So?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I hit Vtec Every Day and thats no understatement. I hit Vtec and beyond.. 7200, 7300 rpm all day.. on a car thats got 195000 miles on it. Doesnt move like it used to.. but atleast it still goes to redline without crying. :P

doug piston

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i hit it every now and then... you know when i need passing power

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When the wife is in the car, I dont bother. When I drive, I mostly do it passing vehicles on the freeway. I keep it at about 5000 then shift, depends on the situation though.

Its fun to open it up and max out in 4th gear (about 104mph) when entering the freeway.. thats about it though. an occasional freeway race too...

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
during the week i usually let it hit about 5,000. but on the weekends i hit Vtec alot! mainly when im out cruzin. Spankin all the ricers who make their cars look ugly and forget to do any good motor mods! I love those guys. I laugh out loud out the window at them. I raced liked a 2002 or 03 neon friday night, and it had a bodykit and a huge ugly ass picnic table and diamond plating on the cieling. i was like WTF? so i raced him and his motor sounded stock. All you could hear was my Vtec just reving!

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i usually hit vtec at least 1 time a day, but i dont hold it.

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Shiznit028 said:
the power and feel of vtec isnt much, especially in an sohc... i can hardly notice any "pull" in my dohc. vtec is overrated by many civic owners.

what kinda motor u have?? im guessin GSR.. i dunna i have never had problems with feelin the vtec hit in any of my b16's.. it seems to hit hard. Espeacily in the b16a1's i dunna ive only had one gsr in my car the truth it had power but not as much as i expected but then again it was the 1st gen gsr b17.. maybe your vtec solenoid..

the single cam on the other hand u cant feel s**t let alone hear it. ive only had one ZC swap that u actually hear it but not clearly when i opend it hard ...

TenzoMonk

Lick your back on it
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have no problem hearing VTEC kick in on my SOHC... now, feeling it... that's another question :P

also, i hit VTEC at least once a day... mainly for passing also. i guess i'm getting old, cause i don't have the same lead foot i used to. but i look at my car, kind of the same way i look at my dog... they both like to relax and take it easy... but they LOVE to get out and run once in a while :D

ReggieSD

PoPoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah...for some reason...after i wrecked my sohc. i took a couple of si's for a test drive and whenever i pushed it hard i didn't really feel much of the vtec...i mean, i know it was there and i can tell when it engages...but none of those sudden power like it's all hyped about. probably because i drove my friend's rsx type-s before i tried an si...big difference.

...now my civ, that's a different story.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You can feel VTEC when you ride in my car. Now anyhow. Now when my car was stock it felt more smooth. Now its gots a kinda jerk to it. It not a neck snapper though.

evan2

Search owns you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ sign of bad tunning.. vtec x over should be smooth

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nd4sped said:
You can feel VTEC when you ride in my car. Now anyhow. Now when my car was stock it felt more smooth. Now its gots a kinda jerk to it. It not a neck snapper though.

when my vtec hits you kinda get stuck in the seat...