tools- are 1/2" drive sockets necessary

sweesiong78

5+ Year Member
ok, im gonna get a toolset for general maintenance, + i might use it to drop a tranny, or some suspension work.
looking at the bolts, seems the largest is 17mm (+the axle nut at 32mm)? if so, i feel like i just wanna get 1/4" and 1/2" sockets, along with a 15" 3/8 drive breaker bar, + socket extensions (up to 12")

I figure that if i ever want to bust my axle nut loose, i could get one 1/2 " 32mm socket and either a 18" breaker bar later, or just rig up a pipe with a 1/2" ratchet.

is this a good idea? will i be needing to any other sockets that are only availble in 1/2" ? are there any 19mm + bolts on the civic?

Swee

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have all three drives but I use the 1/2" most.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you *can* get away with only having a 3/8 drive (i pulled my first trans without 1/2") but you'll break extensions, and you can never quite get enough leverage on them for stubborn bolts. pony up and get the half inch, i learned long ago that there is NOTHING worse than not having the right tool for the job. besides, tools are an investment, and you should never shy away from spending your money on good quality tools, if you plan on working on your car they will pay for themselves.

sweesiong78

5+ Year Member
oko thanks, but one reason i thought that 1/2" sockets werent going to be useful is that i see a lot of bolts around the engine are 12mm and below...correct me if i'm wrong, but do the Sear's toolsets with 1/2" drive come with sockets less than 13mm? sorry i just wanna make sure i dont go buy something unnecessary.